Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

What Are The Most Harmful Cliches?

Topsy April 28th, 2016

People struggling with depression or mental illness often encounter others who want to feel like they already have all the answers. Rather than listening and offering support, people often turn to cliches as a way of dismissing depression and its consequences.

What cliches do you find most harmful?

Examples include "pick yourself up by your bootstraps" (implying that depression is a choice and those who suffer it and simply too lazy to try) and "life is what you make it" (as though everyone from the depressed to homeless children living in third world landfills are causing their own life circumstances.)

Quinzel241 April 28th, 2016

Every cloud has a silver lining.

Topsy OP April 28th, 2016

YES like a silver lining to suicide? Cancer? Rape? Looking for a silver lining is just insulting in many cases!

Quinzel241 April 28th, 2016

@Topsy

Or "God needed another angel"

TrumpVEVO April 29th, 2016

"Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem." - There are people with permanent problems, and it is a solution nonetheless, albeit an unfortunate one.

"It gets better"- Is that a personal guarantee? It can also and quite possibly and most likely get WORSE.

"Suicide is selfish"- If that is so, then isnt it more selfish making someone continue to live despite their pain and misery?

"It takes more courage to live than to die/ dying is the easy way out/ is cowardly"- It takes guts to die. If it were easy there would be a whole lot more completions.

"People have it worse"- Comparing someone's problems with other people's problems in less fortunate places. Perfect logic.

" You have so much to live for"- Yeah everyday waking up feeling worthless and doing nothing.

"What about the future and the good things that'll happen? Meeting your true love, having a family, etc, etc.

-At one point and time, today was once "the future" so..

" God will punish you/ you will go to hell"- Should God punish me for being too weak?

"God never gives you more than you can handle"- I'd prefer God to give me LESS than I can handle because I'm not handling this very well.

Topsy OP June 1st, 2016

Agree with ALL of these. If god never gives people more than they can handle, that means no one commits suicide? Good points on each

BurkeDevlin June 1st, 2016

Even when I was religious, that one always got under my skin, because it is demonstrably not true.

@Topsy

Topsy OP June 1st, 2016

smh it's always someone who has it easier than you who tells you things aren't so hard. And you wanna shout "Yeah FOR YOU!!!" Count your blessings, not mine.

BurkeDevlin June 1st, 2016

Yeah. If my life had been perfect, I probably wouldn't be here. But so many people I've interacted with here have had much rougher sledding than I. I think people want to say something supportive, and just aren't always sure what. But sometimes someone just needs to let it out and be validated. Sometimes it *is* that bad.

@Topsy

GrumpyOldMan May 8th, 2016

It's all in your head

Topsy OP June 1st, 2016

EXACTLY, I mean "it's all in my head? Like EVERY sight, smell, emotion and memory that distinguish me as a living human being? Cool so does that mean nothing matters or just nothing I think matters?"