Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Weird Feelings

Devilishnephilim February 18th, 2016

Idk what this would be related to, possibly my depression or anxiety. I have been coping well with these but this started happening sometime after I got these under control. I wasn't sure, but I have been having some difficulties latelty. I have been experiencing times of feeling really distanced from myself. I sort of zone out completely somedays, and get this feeling that i am just a puppet in a way. I kind of just drag my body along with me, it almost feels numb. When I get this way, I also feel really diagusted ar people. Everything seems to look clearer and hyperrealistic? I start to feel the area around me and see people as more of biological meat sacks than actual people. Its really been affecting me, when i have these episode. I can't concentrate, especially on people talking. Words flow right through me, and i just feel far away from them. Thats the best I can explain it. Has anyone else experienced this? Can someone tell me what it is, or what its caused by?

MarkCity1972 February 18th, 2016

@Devilishnephilim I can relate to this feeling. I had this phase in the past. I haven't experienced this in years, but as you mentioned it, I remembered those times, when I was sitting with friends or family together and my mind drifted away, words poured out of my mouth. The conversation was going on and what I said was definitely what I wanted to say, but it seemed to me like I hear myself talking, hear the others talking, but I was unsure, if I was sitting with them right now or not. Similar experiences I had when I was a child. I called it 'in trance', I wanted to enjoy the day, every second of it, but my mind drifted into an emotion like: I am here, and I would like to have joy and happiness during the beautiful day, but why am I not here??? I was, physically, but mentally I feel like I am wrapped in cotton wool, hear myself talking, everything around me seemed surreal.

I am trying to analyze, why this happens. I think, that the reasons are multiple and I hope, you understand, what I mean when I say 'layers'. Different emotions, memories in your life, which create the basis of your unconscious life, similar what is mentioned in the book "7 cups for the searching soul" as 'bag', which you carry with you. Those layers of memories/emotions create this feeling of 'drifting away' as your mind starts to relate the reality with the past, not keeping you focused on the reality of the momentum. Does this make sense?

Devilishnephilim OP February 18th, 2016

@MarkCity1972 It kind of makes sense, but I'm not sure. Thanks for the input though. c:

loyalHickory1160 February 18th, 2016

@Devilishnephilim hi you know I may not be able to understand because depression for everyone is so different. What I know is, I was depressed to and sometimes still feel like I am. I feel detached to the world, but I know that these feelings can be fixed. Just trying to block out all the negativity and focus on what you're supposed to does help! If you're sitting with your family and you're not mentally with them, force yourself to listen and get involved in that conversation. It seems difficult and something tough but trust me after a while you will realise that you are slowly but surely improving. This focus and dedication to just BE BETTER will help you overcome a lot

King0fclubs February 18th, 2016

Maybe its derealization or depersonalization, Then again I'm no professional, Maybe a profession would be able to help you figure it out,

Things like this often require professional help. Just saying.

BridgetAileen February 18th, 2016

@Devilishnephilim There have been a few times I've had the feeling of being distanced from my body and like I'm dragging it around. The numb feeling. Things do seem kind of surreal and I can't concentrate while I'm feeling this way. It's like seeing things happening to someone else, but still through their eyes. It hasn't happened often and fortunately hasn't lasted for an extended amount of time for me. So far, at least. I don't know why it happens, but it seems to happen at times I'm feeling very depressed or stressed. But not every time. I don't know what makes the difference. If at all possible, I try to go to sleep because it will be gone when I wake up. But if sleep isn't possible, like when I'm at work, either something will happen that I relate to and snaps me out of it or it will eventually fade away as I continue to go about the day to day business of living. I've never thought to mention this to anyone, so I have no idea why or how it happens. I have no idea what it is. But it is weird, you're right about that.

ladylazarus1971 February 18th, 2016

Sometimes I call this feeling the "aquarium feeling" because when you're experiencing it, it honestly seems like you're floating behind a wall of glass, watching the world swim around you. It is textbook depersonalization. I don't generally mind it; I sort of see it as one of the ways my poor brain copes when I am overwhelmed by stress and "outside forces." Often, I would rather experience this semi-trance than the pain and anxiety I would be dealing with otherwise.

February 18th, 2016

@Devilishnephilim

I think the term you're looking for to label this is "dissasociation". I've suffered with it myself on and off for years.

February 19th, 2016

disassociation*

Sorry, spellcheck doesn't seem to work here x_x