Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Question about something I've noticed that I've done all my life

AutumnEagle December 4th, 2016

Hello!

So while I've only been diagnosed with depression for a few years now, I've been doing all I can to learn about it.

Then I thought of something.

For years, I'll stare at my reflection. not just in mirrors , but I'll catch myself doing it. now I'm wondering, why?

Could it be from my depression? anyone know?

SpiritedShaye March 24th, 2017

@AutumnEagle I'm not sure but I have this too. I think it's partly due to obsession over self image and worrying what other people think when they see me it's almost as if I stare to try and work out what I don't like today.

AutumnEagle OP March 24th, 2017

@SpiritedShaye hmmm....another thing i need to think about.

Rain45 December 4th, 2016

@AutumnEagle When you catch yourself staring into the mirror or whatever else you may do that with, what kind of feelings do you feel, what thoughts do you have?

AutumnEagle OP December 13th, 2016

@dancingRainbow45 Honestly, I don't know. Perhaps I'm subconsciously looking into myself. Sometimes it's positive and sometimes it's not. Other than that, I don't know

usefulJewel19 December 4th, 2016

@AutumnEagle it depends on what are your thoughts at time when you do it? are they same thoughts ?

@usefulJewel19. Its almost like I'm spacing out, but then again perhaps its something more than that I'm just not seeing yet.

ladylazarus1971 December 4th, 2016

@AutumnEagle If, when you are looking into the mirror, you can not connect what's inside you to the person you see looking back at you, it might be that you are experiencing depersonalization or derealization. They are a common feature of mood disorders like Depression. Essentially, what it is, is that feeling of not seeming to be in the right body, or in your body at all. Sometimes it can feel like you're trapped inside. Sometimes it can feel like you are not in there, but perhaps floating somewhere above/ outside yourself.
If you think this might apply to your situation, there are a lot of forum threads scattered about the discuss it. If you do a forum search for depersonalization, a lot of them pop up. But if you'd like a couple of direct links, here are two to get you started. Good luck!

https://www.7cups.com/forum/AnxietySupportCommunity_53/AnxietyQA_218/Questionsaboutdissociationanddepersonalization_48533/

https://www.7cups.com/forum/TraumaticExperiencesCommunity_60/DissociationDID_919/Depersonalization_46641/

@ladylazarus1971. That is interesting to look at. Thank you.

staywithyou December 6th, 2016

@AutumnEagle

It dependes on what you feel. How do you feel when you stare at the mirror? It may be a chance for you to reflect your life and think about it, trying to connect with yourself. Or you it can be that you can't connect to your feeling or find you lost your true self. Or it may be lots of reason. Perhapes talk a little more aout what you feel when staring in the mirror?

Thanks for sharing :)

@staywithyou. Well, that is a good thing to think about. Honestly, i don't remember. Perhaps it is feelings and reflection of my feelings. I'll have to ponder that more.

basils0up June 26th, 2017

I've always avoided looking in mirrors as much as possible. But I think it's more to do with my gender dysphoria than my depression. On the other hand, I believe that being trans has a big part to play in my depression so...