Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

On and off depression?

SkillfullLemon6127 February 17th, 2016

Over the past couple of months or so I've been feeling quite depressed but it's been in phases, i.e. Depressed for a week, feeling almost normal for a week, then feeling depressed again, etc. Is it normal for this to happen during depression or does it mean that I'm not actually depressed?

Ghinspire February 17th, 2016

@SkillfullLemon6127 Mine is caused by chemical imbalances from my thyroid and it goes a lot like that for me. One week I feel "fine" and then another I want to cry. It is such a crazy journey.

Vixeen February 18th, 2016

@Ghinspire oh my gosh, it makes sense! I was diagnosed with thyroid problems 2 years ago, & even with my medications I still off some days & fine on others..

SilentSerenityy February 17th, 2016

@SkillfullLemon6127

Depression affects everyone differently. It is a hormone imbalance which can alter regularly. This is kind of how I experienced depression/ I'd be in a relatively low mood for months, with days/nights of suicidal tendencies and total break downs.

In those "normal weeks", it's just a bit of stability, not necessarily a recovery or happiness. It sounds like you have depression but it might be best talking with a doctor to get a correct diagnosis.

SkillfullLemon6127 OP February 17th, 2016

@SilentSerenityy Thanks for the reply.

At first, during those normal weeks I thought I might've been getting better but it wasn't long before I realised I was just feeling less depressed.

Celaeno February 17th, 2016

@SkillfullLemon6127, in my opinion it is completely normal. The depression is a mood disorder which means it can vary depending on the hormones and current neurotransmitters' sensitivity and environment and stressors and all of the different things I don't know, because I'm not a professional ^^

But your experiences sounds a lot like mine, to be honest. Those constant fluctuations made me think that I don't have any real problem at all and sadly hold me back for years from seeking needed medical help.

Depression is not being sad all the time. Your brain is constantly fighting with this illness and when you have better odds, it wins. I'm glad to hear you're having a string of good days, too, lovely. Please take the best care of yourself now, so you don't have to suffer any longer from the harder times. The sooner you address this issue, the sooner you will feel better.

Sending lots of hugs!

SkillfullLemon6127 OP February 17th, 2016

@Celaeno Thanks for reply. At least now I know for sure I'm not the only who's experienced depression like this, I used to think it was only a continuous thing.

And thanks for the hugs. They're not as good as the real thing but I can't exactly complain, can I :)

Celaeno February 18th, 2016

Hi, @SkillfullLemon6127 - I just wanted to tell you that I send you a little message on the Feed, but because of the age group difference you want be able to receive it. However, you can click here to see it ^^

I hope you have a good day, lovely!

SkillfullLemon6127 OP February 18th, 2016

@Celaeno I saw it, thanks.

And you have good day too!

February 18th, 2016

@SkillfullLemon6127

Depression has always been like this for me, you definitely aren't alone <3