Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

How to quit talking about sadness to partner?

Kay9833 June 29th, 2020

Ive been dealing with MDD for 8 years. Every day, I feel hopeless and weighed down. I feel stuck in life.

However, I have a very supportive and loving partner who helps a lot. Im very grateful for him. I feel like I talk about my problems and sadness too much though, you know?

Like almost every day I have low moods. About 80% of the time when he asks how Im doing or whats wrong then Ill talk about how I feel depressed or exhausted. He says he understands and that it doesnt bother him, and that I dont weigh him down or anything, but I still want to talk to him about it less.

How can I quit focusing on how depressed I am? How do I quit talking about it so often? How do I start pausing and thinking before I say anything?

Thank you for the help everyone ♥︎

Tricebaby June 29th, 2020

@Kay9833

Hello and good morning! Look how kind and considerate you are! You are feeling down and hurt, but you are concerned about your partner. How about trying the 80/20 rule. Switch it up a bit. When your partner asks how your day was, tell him about the sad, exhausting, or bad moments. However let it make up only 80% or less of the conversation. End it on a positive note with about 20% positive. Strive to reduce the 80% negative over time as you also increase the 20% positive. You need to vent. But, by ending on the positive, even it if at first you can only say one positive thing, will make you feel better.

Hope it helps.

Kay9833 OP June 29th, 2020

@Tricebaby Hi, thank you so much! I

Tricebaby June 29th, 2020

@Kay9833

Oh no problem. Reading your post helped me to remember to do that myself. Sometimes life, and especially this Corona Virus pandemic, keeps us so busy and distracted by problems that we forget about the little positive things in our lives. The 80/20 rule is known in the Early Childhood Field. It is used when conferencing with parents. However it is a bit different. The 80 is positive while the 20 is negative. I find that using it the other way around helps me a lot. I really hope it helps you as well. I kind of forgot about it though. Thanks so much for helping me remember this.