Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

How to get loved one to seek help?

Evenstar8 May 31st, 2020

I would like to start off by saying that I love my partner very much and I don't want to leave him when he is suffering. He is very sweet, funny, and considerate. But he is also extremely depressed and hates talking about his feelings (even to me, nd I've been with him 5 years). His family is emotionally abusive without realizing that they are. He only just started attempting self-care, so I don't want to push him into therapy just yet. But he needs professional help if this self-care doesn't work. How do I get him to do that? He is incredibly resistant and says he hates talking to people and that it "won't work anyway because nothing works". But on the really bad days this is having a negative impact on our relationship. He probably sees it as a waste of time and money. What do I do??? I am getting very tired of having to be constantly understanding when he shuts me out.

Evenstar8 OP May 31st, 2020

To clarify, I know it is his decision whether or not to seek help, but it is very difficult to watch someone you love suffer and my natural impulse is to try to find possible solutions to help. I would also like to know what else I can do besides suggesting he see a therapist and being supportive.

greenYard9163 March 13th

Hi Evenstar8,

interested in how you and your significant other are doing now. Was he able to seek some help? Hope you guys are doing well!