Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Distortions

amusingHuman5441 November 15th, 2016

I've been suggested that maybe depression is distorting my perceptions, is there a way I could know or approach to knowing if this is true? Can someone share if you've been through something similar,? I'm having a lot of troubles since I haven't found a therapy I can afford... Thanks :)

Phthalo November 16th, 2016

Well for one thing I've experienced polarized thinking as a result and I've seen this in others who day they have depression as well. Basically that's thinking in terms of "always/never" "everyone/no one", stuff like that, when that isn't always that way, it just feels that way because it's significant for the times where it is. You have to remember to be logical about it, truly logical, not what yoir mind wants to convince you is logical. Because of course it will have justifications, and they are, of course, very persuasive. If any of that makes sense...

amusingHuman5441 OP November 16th, 2016

@Phthalo

Thank you so much, i feel totally related to what you're saying, trying to be critical i think I've even been expressing myself with that kind of phrases lately. I want to believe that having realized it at leaste a little can help me reduce this issue.. Thanks :)

sporkchop November 16th, 2016

@amusingHuman5441 Well, I know that, for me, my anxiety and depression absolutely do skew or distort my perceptions of things. I tend to interpret things in a negative way, even if the interaction itself is positive. For example, if my boyfriend tells me that he loves me, my brain will think "he doesn't really mean that." And I'll project my own thoughts/fears/worries onto other people. Because I sometimes feel as if I'm a burden or I'm boring or I'm annoying, I will believe that other people think these things about me as well, even if they don't. And I'll often imagine up problems that don't really exist.

Depression absolutely does affect the way that you see things, which is probably one of the worst things about it. It's difficult to see things as they really are.

I hope that things get easier for you. <3

amusingHuman5441 OP November 16th, 2016

@sporkchop

Wow, i think i need to observe myself much more, I tend to believe fiercely in what I think, and when someone contradicts me I asume the other person is being defensive or stubborn. Yesterday I was feeling very anxious and sad and I asked my boyfriend (via messenger) to have a conversation with me because I needed to distract and he told me he had nothing to tell and that he was working, my interpretation was that he was tired of my problems and I didn't messaged him again for the rest of the day eventhough he was looking for me. Thank you so much for sharing thia with me :)

sporkchop November 16th, 2016

@amusingHuman5441 Yeah, I have to actively remind myself that my boyfriend probably means what he says and I should take it at face value instead of overanalyzing everything and assuming there's some kind of hidden meaning in everything. It can be difficult, but I think that communication can be helpful. Expressing your concerns to your boyfriend can allow him to reassure you and keep you from misinterpreting things.