Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Therapist confidentiality?

Infernalstick February 8th, 2018

I'm 17 and I live in Texas. I want to get a therapist but I'm worried about him telling my parents that I cut/smoke pot. Will my therapist tell my parents if I tell him not too?

EnergySensitive February 9th, 2018

@Infernalstick . I wish I could help. I honestly don't know because you are a minor. Under 18 you need parent concent to see a therapist.

You can Google therapists near me. The therapist normally have a bio and often an email. They won't know who you are but you have to mention your age. Ask them that very question in an email. They should respond and provide explanations. Email several.

All the HIPPA rules....and being a minor. My concern is the self harming. It can accidentally go to far. I've cut for years and had close calls. I still struggle with self harm and it takes a lot of trial and error of not going to far. I think anyone's main concern would be the self harm. A therapist is not going to be concerned about the pot. You have some privacy still being a minor.

Self harm causes concern for your safety. Even when your an adult.

Now that I said all thst, sorry, if you don't get a more helpful suggestion from someone, I would try sending an email. I hope someone on here can help you more. And I wish you the best of luck! Be careful with SH!

Infernalstick OP February 9th, 2018

@EnergySensitive Thanks for the quick reply, I'll try to ask around.

UntilThen February 9th, 2018

@Infernalstick

Take a look at THIS post I made. It goes over confidentiality as a minor.

Infernalstick OP February 9th, 2018

@UntilThen Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.