Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Over the Counter Meds for Periodic Depression?

RedAki December 5th, 2016

I'm not diagnosed with depression since I refused to tell my parents and because I only feel down maybe half of every month. Strange but because I get two weeks of feeling okay, I'm stubborn enough to basically find my own ways of dealing. Maybe the way I have been raised as a very traditional Asian-American that covers such problems? But anyways, I need to visit CVS tomorrow and see if there are any general/ low side effect medicines that I can buy without a prescription. (I know the two weeks where I feel like crap are coming and I actually scared.) I'm entirely new to medications to treat depression, but since this might be something related to my period/ hormones, I think they might be more effective than doing cbt programs? I need more opinions, so anyone please help me.

Note: I can't tell my parents, I don't entirely know why, but that isn't a solution available at all.

chasingsilhcuettes December 5th, 2016

@RedAki

Unfortunately, most drug stores don't sell OTC antidepressants and most that do require an ID. Some natural remedies that can be found at drug stores are Omega-3 and saffron extract (if you choose this, be careful, as too much can have significant side effects.)

RedAki OP December 5th, 2016

@chasingsilhcuettes

I'll make sure to ask about those, thanks

ChromeLotus December 5th, 2016

I sympathize with your situation. I'm not aware of any over the counter medications available for treating depression (at least not in the USA)

AffyAvo December 5th, 2016

Can you talk about it with your doctor without telling your parents? Depression is sometimes a symptom of something else, including vitamin or mineral deficiences.

If that's not possible, I recommend talking to the pharmacist. They can advise on over the counter things and provide medication counselling similar to that for prescription meds. There can be side effects or drug interactions with over the counter and natural products.

@AffyAvo

Okay I'll talk to the pharmacist. I can't contact my doctor without going through my parents though. Thanks

(I was right, right now I feel suddenly really down. Like a different kind of tired than just sleepiness. My day wasn't even that tiring and it's only 8! This annoys me so much.)

@RedAki

Well as an update, I realized most symptoms match PMDD almost exactly. So the first thing I'm trying tomorrow is Omega 3 fatty acids. Since it seems the one with the least side effects. Finals are coming up and I can't fail these. I have a condition that also may increase the chances of PMS or PMDD so it makes it even more likely. But this is self diagnosed so I could be entirely wrong.

RedAki OP December 6th, 2016

@RedAki

I suppose another update is needed, if anyone is reading these. Apparently fish oil with EPA and DHA might help, but the same website says it might not. Another thing I found is 5-HTP which is labeled to help mood and has been proven to help some. I bought small bottles of both today and I guess I'll keep updating if there are any effects. According to webmd (idk how trustworthy this is haha), both seem to have very little side effects if taken in the small dosages that I bought them in, so it's safe to experiment I hope.