Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Does anyone else feel like suicide awareness day isn't helping them? (Possible trigger warning)

John04 September 10th, 2016

DISCLAMER: I am not planning to commit suicide. I can be classified as suicidal, however.

I know that suicide awareness is to try and get people who don't really care about the topic to start looking into it. At the same time, though, when I'm walking around my college, I see things such as "every 15 minutes someone commits suicide" and such, and it really makes it hard to not go into a bad episode when you see how common it is and start wondering if the fight is worth it. I know is more directed to the people that don't know and that we try to fight to be the uncommon number that gets through it, but still, this is just my curiosity wanting to know if anyone else feels the same way and needs support.

John04 OP September 10th, 2016

@John04 also, I don't want so sound ungrateful or anything either. I really do appreciate that people do care. It's just the methods that get to me. They may not have better ones, idk. I'm more or less just making an observation.

Brittis17 September 11th, 2016

@John04 yea

WaterfallLily September 10th, 2016

I agree. I feel like people posting about suicide awareness should keep the victims in mind. In the end, those who are not aware will see the same poster as those who are aware, and it is only common courtesy to prevent doing potential damage to victims. Giving statistics about how bad a situation is won't help anyone. It would be better to provide solutions to certain problems or to provide options of how one can help/support victims.

Something like this seems more appropriate to me:

P.S. Don't bash me for my opinion. :P

SquirrellyOranged September 10th, 2016

I agree. Even if suicide wasn't as common - say one person a year - the solution isn't to point it out. People don't care about the theoretical other. They only care when they're being directly affected, either as someone depressed or someone who knows someone who has chosen a final destination on their painful path. Give us option or help, so we don't get to that level. Don't make us feel ashamed, or stupid for having mental illnesses. No one shames a cancer patient. Someone with diabetes isn't afraid to go to the doctor to discuss medication. Broaden mental illness support and prevent suicide that way, rather than make us feel worse for considering it as an option to end suffering.