Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Depression- can't get out of bed

Lemontime20 September 12th, 2015

For those of you suffering with depression you know the feeling of "I can't get out of bed and face life". I have felt that feeling before and honestly there is no real way to explain that to someone. It's one of those things you have to experience to know. Right now I am reading a book called No Mud, No Lotus by Thich Nhat Hanh and I came across a paragraph that I thought I would share with you.

"When you cut your finger, you just wash it and your body knows how to heal. When a nonhuman animal living in the forest is injured, she knows what to do. She stops searching for something to eat or looking for a mate. She knows, through generations of ancestral knowledge, that it's not good for her to do so. She finds a quiet place and just lies down, doing nothing. Nonhuman animals instinctively know that stopping is the best way to get healed. They don't need a doctor, drugstore, or a pharmacist."

Now I am not saying stop going to the doctor or taking medication I think we very much need those. But maybe this not wanting to get out of bed feeling is our bodies way of trying to heal. We feel shameful and guilty to be in this condition and we feel like we are a failure and useless when really our body is just trying to heal us and give us a new beginning. As the title of the book suggests, without the mud you can't have beautiful lotus flowers.

blackvenus09 September 12th, 2015

Very thoughtful.

At times I feel ashamed for not doing more.

I love this quote. I've been through a lot of trauma and maybe this depression is my body trying to heal.

I never took time to address the ways I've been hurt. I just dealt with it or stuffed it inside.

Lemontime20 OP September 12th, 2015

I am so sorry to hear that you went through trauma. It looks like you have a level of awareness and understanding that most don't. I myself didn't know how important it was to address my hurts and really feel and release those things instead of keeping them bottled up. But any self help, psychology or overcoming pain resource that I have ever read always emphasizes to not run away from the pain but address it. Since you already have this understanding I think it will be a huge asset to your healing :) I wish you strength and courage on your journey.

NewRomantic677 September 13th, 2015

@Lemontime20

awesome post! The whole " I don't want to get out of be dand face the day" feeling is something that is experienced by many people going through depression, including me.

now, I've looked at this feeling from many different angles before I read your post. I've always seen it as negative, that is until I read your post.

the angle you've introduced here is a very interesting one indeed and had me thinking for quite sometime. I can imagine that when your depression starts projecting itself physically, our bodies DO start trying to heal. The "can't get out of bed" feeling may be a projection of that.

cool idea, basically. Thanks for sharing! heart

Lemontime20 OP September 13th, 2015

I'm so glad this made you think of it in a positive way :) even though in today's day and age it's hard to completely stop and take a break, I think it's perfectly okay to go slow. Really really slow. I just wish ppl wouldn't feel ashamed of themselves for it since that extra pressure they put on themselves only makes them feel worse than they already do.

AutumnEagle September 17th, 2015

I have never thought of that before. Last spring semester is when I discovered my depression. I ended up missing a week of classes before I realized there was an issue and got help from counseling and on here. I have to wonder if that's what my body is trying to do. I think I may tell my counselor about this, as it may help explain it all.

Lemontime20 OP September 17th, 2015

Hmm it would be interesting to know what a professional thinks about this. I am pretty sure there is no science backed evidence, its just a thought I had while reading that passage from the book. But I will say from my own experience that I found it to be true. I think a rest period of really slowing down would help a lot with depression. I remember when I was always on that "run, run, run" mindset it made things so much worse. But slowing down and consciously incorporating healing methods helped significantly. After getting much better I realized I had learned many lessons and gained a new perspective so it felt like a new beginning in a way.

AutumnEagle September 17th, 2015

I think my counselor will think it's a good way to look at it. She knows I'm on here and i tell her interesting things i learn on here

Lemontime20 OP September 17th, 2015

Cool :) let me know what she thinks if you do end up telling her

tadashihamada March 20th, 2018

@Lemontime20

This was so pretty and made so much sense. Thank you for posting this.

Keep posting more stuff like this in the future. smiley