Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Submit your favorite words with definitions!

Monarda November 8th, 2015

Here's how this'll go:

You can submit any word(s) you want, as long as you really love them! They can even be untranslatable into English, or in a foreign language! Brighten someone's day with some words! It'd also be neat to hear why you like the words, I think it'd be interesting! Let's get nerdy while getting to know each other!

I'll start:

Sonder: The realization that each passerby has a life as vivid and complex as your own.
Kuidaore (from Japan, 食い倒れ): To ruin oneself by extravagant eating/To eat oneself into bankruptcy
Vellichor: The strange wistfulness of used bookshops.
Aloof: Conspicuously uninvolved and uninterested, typically through distaste.
Cantankerous: Bad-tempered, argumentative, and uncooperative.

What are your favorites?

harry576 November 8th, 2015

Ebullience - Bubbling enthusiasm

Spelunking - The act of exploring a cave

These are just 2 of many words that are my favourites. Hope you learnt something new.

Monarda OP November 8th, 2015

@harry576 Oh, those are really good! :D I need to use those a lot <3

LaughingTragic13 November 10th, 2015

As someone who suffers from BPD, these words really resonate with me:

Athazagoraphobia - the fear of forgetting, being forgotten or ignored, or being replaced.

Monachopsis - the subtle but persistent feeling of being out of place.

Mauerbauertraurigkeit - the inexplicable urge to push people away, even close friends who you really like.

Exulansis - the tendency to give up trying to talk about an experience because people are unable to relate to it.

Liberosis - the desire to care less about things.

Altschmerz - weariness with the same old issues that you've always had - the same boring flaws and anxieties you've been gnawing on for years.

Monarda OP November 10th, 2015

@LaughingTragic13 those words are so powerful! They hit close to home for me too <3

@ImEatingBiscuits I love the last ones <3 A hundred thousand welcomes seems so meaningful!

catherine13 November 10th, 2015

Sehnsucht (german) - a deep emotional state of longing for something that in most cases we can never have

Носталгия (bulgarian; read nostalghia) - feeling of sadness for the past, for the lost moments and the moments that one can never have again.

@catherine13 Wow, you chose some powerful words! I think that many of us can relate to them heart

catherine13 November 11th, 2015

@Monarda thank you <3 I think many peoplr can relate that's why I used them.. They also have a special meaning to me that's why I wrote them. :)

politeFriend3910 January 1st, 2016

@catherine13 hey my names Jason Im 21 and live victoria , I actually for past 3 years have found me self depressed just feeling down I guess although when I'm around friends I'm quite the oposite in sense of I always joke around and seem happy but when Imy alone I find me self feeling down , guess just I over think things sumtimes because of past relationships and problems In life although I am in general really care free and easy going, hah sorryjust normal I'm kept to me self but then thought I'd see if I cud get sum advice just saw ur post and really liked it wen randomly saw it

Woah, these words are so amazing! I can't wait to use them! I hope all of you have a way to cope with your problems in a healthy way. Because if you do, that is ineffable heart