Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Personify Your Depression: If my depression were a person... [fill in the blank]

wontwakewontsleep September 27th, 2017

Personify Your Depression: I learned about this coping technique today. Imagine that your depression is a person separate from you. The idea is that personifying our depression helps remind us that depression doesn't define who we are ourselves, and that invasive self-critical thoughts we experience often come from our depression and not our healthy minds. Some things to think about are: what kind of person would it be, what kind of hobbies would it have, what would it look like, what would its name be?

So, if your depression were a person, what kind of person would it be?

wontwakewontsleep OP April 25th, 2018

@TylerXDurden - Yes, like a sumo wrestler, great comparison. The crushing weight of depression is definitely overwhelming. Thanks for sharing <3

ThenWhat95 April 23rd, 2018

If my depression were a person he would be a true companion.

@ThenWhat95 - I think I get what you mean. For me, it would be a true companion in the sense that it would always be with me, know all of my secrets, etc. I'd love to hear more of your thoughts on what it means to you.

ilikecandlesandfood April 23rd, 2018

if my depression was a person, it would be small and meaningless. it would be rude and disrespectful because it doesn't know how to respect itself as a whole. it would wear a large oversized sweater and baggy jeans with a cheap knockoff of designer shoes. it would punch people in the face if they have a positive attitude to life. it would be alone all the time with only words to ever come out to say "you're fat" or "you hate yourself.". no-one would ever be able to live with my depression. ever.

@ilikecandlesandfood - Yeah, depression is insufferable and unrelenting, but also carries this sense of shame because it knows how small and annoying it is. Great description ): Thanks <3

Pichu April 23rd, 2018

My depression is a shadowy version of myself, it wants to kill me and I want to let it. It gave me a means of doing so, and once I tried it took the means away. I want to banish it back in which it came and move on, but I'm stuck with it and myself.

@Pichu - Yes ): It is like our shadow selves, trapping us here and taunting us with an escape it doesn't intend to give. Hopefully one day we can figure out how to send it back and be free. <3

limeSpruce1813 April 24th, 2018

It would be a slacker, who doesn

@limeSpruce1813 - Absolutely! It would loiter around and pass any responsibilities onto us. True. Thanks <3

BetteringMyself89 April 24th, 2018

If my depression were a person, it would be me at 16 years old. I say this because I struggled a lot throughout my high school years. I obsessed over my weight. I clung onto my high school boyfriend for everything, which allowed him to take advantage of me in every aspect. I had to call the cops on my dad because he was physically abusing my mom. I attempted suicide prior to my junior prom, but pretended it never happened. My parents separated around this time and went through a bitter divorce. My circle of friends weren't real friends; so I felt alone for the most part of my teenage years.

Although life gradually began to feel better and although I'm at a good place in my life right now, I still feel damaged, unappealing, and worthless. It may only come in waves, but I've accepted that depression doesn't fade. I deal with it everyday. Some days are better than others, of course. But there's nothing worse than being a successful 28 year old mother/wife/woman and feeling like that 16 year old girl...

Helenvd April 24th, 2018

@BetteringMyself89

i feel that way too. Struggle every now and then with depression. I have a loving man, a son and a good job and I still feel worthless and overwhelmed by daily life.

my inner child hasn

BetteringMyself89 April 24th, 2018

@Helenvd It's comforting knowing that I'm not alone either. My inner child silently struggles for the most part, but then it's like she can't contain it all and it becomes too loud for me to ignore. I went through a very dark depression through my early 20's too. So my mind likes to take trips to the past from time to time and it's enough to bring me down for a few days. My husband is very understanding because he struggles with anxiety. I wish I could leave the past in the past and fully be in the present. It's hard to be completely here, you know?

@BetteringMyself89 - Yes, it's very hard to stay in the present, when part of the past is locked within us, kicking and screaming or sometimes just being very still and very sad. This inner child description is beautiful because it is very accurate. I think you are right, in that it will always be with us in one form or another, but maybe, one day, maybe we can find a way to continue soothing that younger, injured fragment of ourselves. Thank you so much for sharing. I think you are from alone I this. I think, in fact, many people will benefit from reading your thoughts on this... so thank you for sharing with us <3

iiAzriel April 24th, 2018

It'd be covered in blood, but not its blood. Someone else's blood.. It'd be rather small and petite, also short, like.. 154cm? It'd have beautiful and really, really long black hair and the most gorgeous yellow eyes. It's an introvert, really lazy and super smart, talented. Being so much talented and smart, it mastered everything it started and eventually get bored of it all. It lost interest in everything and decided never to leave its room. It spends most of its time asleep and only moves when something catches its interest.

wontwakewontsleep OP April 26th, 2018

@iiAzriel - all of these details you use really paint a picture of who your depression is and what it's like, I loved how descriptive you were

AJayZa April 24th, 2018

It would be a person I always hung around even though I know they aren't good for me or, are taking advantage of my weakness but, I keep hanging out with them anyway because I am afraid that no one else will.

@AJayZa - Yes ): We seek what's familiar, even if it is bad fornus, like the company of our depression... Thanks for sharing <3

AJayZa April 26th, 2018

@wontwakewontsleep No problem! Thank you so much for your kind words.

DeadlikeFredbutontheinside April 24th, 2018

A big black box. It

@DeadlikeFredbutontheinside - Really like this one, thank you, like a confining darkness we're locked inside of, simple and powerful. <3

Beownsiepsnossksbo April 24th, 2018

I would tell it that I had given up to its face and would let it pull the trigger on me.

@Beownsiepsnossksbo - Often the depression is so bad, we just want it to be over with already, even if that means calling out depression out and telling it just follow through, and when our depression is bluffing or taunting us with the idea of death, it stings even more. Thank you for sharing such a powerful statement. I'm sure many feel this way.

petalsword April 24th, 2018

My depression is a dark creature that changes shapes. It's always around, sometimes it appears to be really small like a little bird on my shoulder and sometimes, it's a huge lake like creature that drowns me. It whispers both sweet and dark words.

@petalsword - yes, a dark shapeshifter. Love it.

Mellietronx April 24th, 2018

it would be a mean ol bully

@Mellietronx - yes, it is very much like a bully, thanks for posting

EarlyOwl April 24th, 2018

This person, perhaps a creature, would be very thin and spindly, and shadowy. They would be difficult to notice or make out, even in broad daylight, but you can always feel their presence.

@EarlyOwl - Eerie and accurate, a creature-person who is almost unseen but certainly felt. Thanks for posting.

casscub April 24th, 2018

If my depression was a person it would be a person with a black hood that was bigger than their head covering up their face. THis is because you cant see their emotions or what they are feeling like myself. You cant see what i am feeling as much I want you to see, The clothing that they would wear is full black and has no colour to it like me as well. You can't see any skin because its being covered up to hide the scars, hurt and pain as well. If my depression was a person this is what mine would look like. How about yours?

@casscub - I definitely relate to this ): my depression would have close resemblance to yours for sure - a large grim-reaper-esque hood, with a stale smoky smell, no color, hard to distinguish any identifiable features, on and on. Appreciate you posting here, thank you.

Positron2 April 24th, 2018

If my depression was a person I would take a swing to try and punch his face,

then I would miss, fall on my face and break my own nose.

@Positron2 - Love this ): Thank you for the laugh, haha! Yes, I would absolutely try to punch my depression in its face, and it would absolutely ridicule me when I inevitably missed or fell like you said. Thanks for sharing and the photo haha

MattSammons April 24th, 2018

If my depression were a person it would know just how to push my buttons. They would be very precise when picking their moment to jump. This person would wait for my weakest moments to attack because they would know on my good days I am strong enough to fight back and back them down but always temporarily.

@MattSammons - Yes ): The struggle persists wih depression, even if we can find a break from it temporarily. It tears us down and puts as much of our focus as possible on our shortcomings, irritstions, and insecurities. It knows exactly how to make us crumble. Thank you for sharing your thoights with us <3

ColetteDD2 April 24th, 2018

My depression would be sticky quicksand. Will slow you done and can be fatal. Definetely something you want to avoid.

@ColetteDD2 - Yes! ): Quicksand, absolutely, forever dragging us deeper and deeper. We often think we hit the bottom only to sink into the floor more. I really appreciate this description, thanks <3

geekymuffin April 24th, 2018

If my depression were a person, it would be a calm person, sitting there, sipping tea and occasionally making me trip and fall. Or just saying "Hi there. Remember me?"

It wouldn't be scary or intimidating. Just very unexpected and sudden sometimes.

@geekymuffin - I like the idea of depression casually ruining everything while drinking tea, instead of being so obvious about it. Thanks for this fresh perspective. <3

CariRaven April 24th, 2018

If my depression was a person I don

wontwakewontsleep OP May 1st, 2018

@CariRaven - Yes :( I wonder if anyone could