Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Hello

agreeableCherry1356 September 7th

I’m quite new here, and I have a couple of questions.

They are :

What do I do when I’m depressed?

Could you tell me more about depression?

I would be really grateful if y’all answered them!!

Thank you for reading this too!

bestVase7265 September 9th

How are you doing today? I hope that today is a bit better than yesterday for you.

Depression is not fun and a lot of us deal with it for a long time. So this is a great place to come for tips and just to vent about the frustrating days.

One of the key ways out is just to start having conversations about it and then coming up with strategies that work for you.

You are welcome to post to this thread any time and I will answer you within 24 hours.

You deserve to feel some peace. @agreeableCherry1356

agreeableCherry1356 OP September 11th

@bestVase7265

sometimes, I feel numb, and sometimes I feel sad. What do I do when I’m numb?

agreeableCherry1356 OP September 11th

I have another question! What can I do for other people who are depressed or tired?

bestVase7265 September 17th

I am so sorry for missing this until now. It didn't show up in my feed properly. I totally apologize. I am usually really regular. 

First, your question about being numb. That is really typical with depression. It can be hard to train your brain to feel otherwise. So be really patient with yourself.

Each person is a little different. Sometimes it is getting outside, sometimes meditating, sometimes a little art or music, sometimes exercise. Pick one thing to try and do it daily for two weeks. See if you feel even a little better at the end.

The best thing to do for other people is to be with them. Sit and listen. Or just be in the same room without saying anything at all. Knowing that you have friends who aren't going to judge you can be a lifesaver. @agreeableCherry1356

agreeableCherry1356 OP September 21st

@bestVase7265

I have another question.

I feel that people are better off if I’m dead. I dont know how to deal with this. how should I deal with this?

I’m sorry for asking too much.

bestVase7265 September 24th

You have absolutely NOTHING to be sorry for. That is a very normal question for a depressed person. I have asked it myself at certain points.

The challenge is that your brain is lying to you a lot. There are lots of people around you who would miss you horribly.

Maybe we can start you on a better path with you writing down a few names of people you think that would be hurt if you were gone. @agreeableCherry1356

agreeableCherry1356 OP September 26th

@bestVase7265

I don’t think anyone would miss me. They don’t care for me, and they’ll probably feel that they’re better off if I’m dead too

bestVase7265 September 27th

But I guarantee you that there are people. Start by thinking about people who you have done little things for - maybe opened a door or smiled at someone. Maybe you listened to a friend who was in trouble. Maybe you made dinner for your parents.

Tell me a bit more about people you see on a daily basis in general. Don't worry about thinking about how they might miss you. Give me one or two people that you just see. @agreeableCherry1356

agreeableCherry1356 OP September 27th

@bestVase7265

but I don’t know who cares about me. No one except for my mum didn’t even know it was my birthday. And my mum just told me to study because it was my birthday 

bestVase7265 September 28th

I know that not having people to celebrate your birthday with is extremely hard. Your mother should have given you some recognition that it was your special day. I can imagine that was quite painful.

But that wasn't what I asked. Give me the name or description of a person or two besides your mother that you came in contact with in any way in the last 24 hours. Who were they and what was that contact like? Did you make anyone smile? Did anyone make you smile even for a second?

I am trying to get you to flip your mind around just a little. @agreeableCherry1356

agreeableCherry1356 OP 23 hours ago

@bestVase7265

No one contacted me by themselves. I'm always the one who contacts them first. They won't even notice if I'm gone, let alone miss me

fadinaway September 9th

@agreeableCherry1356 am trying to understand too but for depression is thos sinking feeling of emptiness but I don't know how to get out of it

slowdecline48 September 11th

@agreeableCherry1356

Here are my thoughts:

1. Doing almost anything is better than nothing. In a depressive episode the worst option (short of self-harm or canceling your life subscription) is to just sit there & let it roll through your head. Surfing the web or watching stuff on YT/Hu.lu/Netfl!x/etc. isn't much better. Get up, go for a walk outside, make yourself a meal, read a book that requires some attention, do something.
  2. Depression can be caused by a number of different factors. Genetics is certainly one...I should know. If your life isn't going the way you'd like &/or if it just plain sucks, depression is an understandable response. The key is to figure out why you're depressed, then do something to fix it whenever possible.

shyCat542 September 12th

Lots of resources here for depression. You found this place, that's a good start. Just click around and you will find something interest. Good luck cherry

WhiteAura9 September 16th

@agreeableCherry1356

I understand that dealing with depression can be incredibly challenging, and it’s important to acknowledge the difficulty of navigating these feelings. When you’re feeling depressed, it’s crucial to remember that these feelings, while very real and intense, are not a reflection of your worth or your ability to make positive changes.

Depression often brings a heavy, persistent sadness and a sense of emptiness that can make even simple tasks feel overwhelming. It can affect how you view yourself, others, and the world around you. Common symptoms might include a lack of energy, difficulty concentrating, changes in sleep and appetite, and a diminished sense of joy or interest in activities you once enjoyed.

When you're feeling depressed, here are a few strategies that might help:

1. Establish a routine: Creating a daily schedule can bring structure to your day and make tasks feel more manageable.

2. Set small, achievable goals: Break larger tasks into smaller steps and focus on completing them one at a time.

3. Exercise regularly: Engage in physical activities like walking, jogging, or stretching, which can help improve mood and reduce stress.

4. Eat a balanced diet: Incorporate nutritious foods into your meals to support your overall health and energy levels.

5. Prioritize good sleep: Stick to a regular sleep schedule and create a calming bedtime routine to enhance sleep quality.

6. Practice mindfulness: Techniques like mindfulness meditation or deep breathing exercises can help manage stress and improve emotional regulation.

7. Engage in creative outlets: Use art, writing, or music as a way to express your feelings and gain a sense of relief.

8. Keep a journal: Write about your thoughts and feelings to better understand them and track your emotional progress.

9. Connect with others: Reach out to friends, family, or support networks to share your experiences and gain emotional support.

10. Limit alcohol and caffeine: Reducing intake of these substances can help stabilize your mood and improve overall well-being.

11. Try relaxation techniques: Explore methods like progressive muscle relaxation or guided imagery to reduce stress and promote relaxation.

12. Pursue enjoyable activities: Engage in hobbies or activities that you find fulfilling to boost your mood and provide a sense of purpose.

13. Practice gratitude: Focus on positive aspects of your life by keeping a gratitude journal, which can help shift your perspective.

14. Volunteer or help others: Giving back to your community can provide a sense of connection and purpose.

15. Get sunlight exposure: Spend time outside or near natural light to improve your mood and regulate your sleep cycle.

16. Challenge negative thoughts: Identify and reframe negative thought patterns to cultivate a more positive outlook.

17. Reduce screen time: Limit time spent on devices, especially before bed, to improve sleep quality and reduce negative impact on mood.

18. Incorporate physical relaxation: Gentle stretching, yoga, or massage can help alleviate physical tension and promote relaxation.

19. Stay hydrated: Drink plenty of water throughout the day to maintain energy levels and overall health.

20. Learn new skills: Take up new interests or hobbies to keep your mind engaged and build confidence.

Each of these strategies can contribute to managing depression and improving your overall well-being. It’s important to find what works best for you and to be patient with yourself as you navigate this process.

Understanding that depression is a complex and multifaceted experience can be comforting. It’s not simply about feeling sad; it’s a deep-seated emotional struggle that affects various aspects of your life. Recognizing this complexity can help you approach your situation with greater empathy for yourself.

Your journey through depression is personal and unique, and it’s okay to take things one step at a time. Remember that while it might feel like a long and difficult road, every small step towards self-care and understanding can contribute to your overall well-being.