Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

11) Headlining and Sub-Headlining Effective Content Pieces

SoulfullyAButterfly January 31st, 2021

Article titles (headlines), as well as subheadlines, are one of the first things a reader reads.

In this discussion, we will understand effective strategies to write headline titles as well as subheadlines to these titles.

Some general tips include:

• Avoid long article titles: try to fit the title within 62 characters or limit it to 5-7 words.

• Consider using “What”, “Why”, “How”, or “When” as these are catchy and add to curiosity.

• Use Numbers - numbers ensure the availability of organized information, and are generally liked: using Odd Numbers in the title has helped in terms of SEO. Remember to write the number itself (5 instead of five).

• To add specificity, consider using “the” before the number.

• Provide an answer to why people should click and read your content: words like “tips”, “strategies”, “facts”, “reasons” all help provide a rationale.

• Include the word “Guide” where applicable.

• Consider using emotional adjectives that describe the topic. For example, “essential”, “free” etc.

• Consider outlining Negative aspects - spin this to meet mental health content goals. For example, The 5 Essential Things You Did Not Know About Depression.

• Use common words to ensure people understand and grasp the topic while finding the title simple

• Consider using a “Things I Wish I Had Known” approach to content if applicable.

How to test your headline as being unique:

Copy and paste your headline with quotation marks into the Google search bar. (e.g. “The 5 Essential Things You Did Not Know About Depression”) - if the results come back as “no results found”, your headline is unique!

Helpful Resource: Useful Title Capitalization Tool

Note: The bottom line to success in terms of marketing and content is to ensure that your content body reflects the great headline/title. It might be worth considering to write final titles after the content body.

Subheadlines: Effective subheadlines summarize the content body while also linking it to the title.

Activity

Using the knowledge attained through this discussion, propose a new article title as well as a subheadline for this published article at 7 Cups.

Reply to at least one other student’s response and share your feedback with them

(Edited by @SoulfullyAButterfly: 12/2/2021 to clarify "subheadline" instead of subheading)

-

This post is brought to you by the Content Development and Marketing Program, find out more information about the program here

MarwaneB March 6th

Thank you, @ThoughtsBubbleExpress ! :)

@MarwaneB You're welcome! good-job-hello-kitty.gif

@SoulfullyAButterfly Hi, thank you for this post and for the useful tips on how to write headline titles and subheadlines for effective content pieces. I appreciate the guidance and the examples you provided.

I have applied the knowledge I learned from this discussion and proposed a new article title and subheadline for the published article at 7 Cups. Here is my proposal:

- New article title: Feeling Lonely This Holiday Season

- New subheadline: Here Are 5 Ways to Connect and Celebrate

I hope this proposal is clear and catchy. Please let me know if you have any feedback or suggestions on my title and subheadline. I look forward to reading other students' responses and sharing my thoughts with them. 😊

Bunnylovesyou March 17th

@ThoughtsBubbleExpress

i love your answers, so wise and thought out as always ❤️❤️

@Bunnylovesyou Thank you so much Bunny, I love your answers too, a lot! But most of all I love your profile picture lol 😆 roseen-bunny.gifkawaii-bunny.gif

Bunnylovesyou March 18th

@ThoughtsBubbleExpress

Ahhh thank you!! @yourcaringconfident made it, it's my bunny jeffy!

Bunnylovesyou March 17th

New article : Things you need to know about Childhood Trauma 

subheadline : Ways to combat loneliness this holiday season 

Bunnylovesyou March 17th

Shift wasnt working, the subheadline is supposed to say : Discover Ways to Combat Loneliness This Holiday Season

CocoaCassie March 18th

7 Ways To Combat Loneliness During The Holidays
Including:-
How I Found My Way To Happy Holidays!

Your search - "7 Ways To Combat Loneliness During The Holidays - Including:-How I Found My Way To ... - did not match any documents.

sky2Ocean20 March 19th

@SoulfullyAButterfly

propose a new article title as well as a subheadline for this published article at 7 Cups.

Article title : Holiday Blues and Overcoming Loneliness

Subheadlines

- Addressing the Challenges of Holiday Blues Amidst COVID-19

- Psychological Effects of Isolation and loneliness

- Alone but Not Abandoned: Coping with Loneliness Effectively

- Seeking Support: Reaching Out for Help

- Leveraging Virtual Support Groups and Online Communities

brightDayFairy March 19th

@sky2Ocean20 such a catchy title and love the different subheadline options!

sky2Ocean20 March 20th

@brightDayFairy

thank-you-reaction.gif

@SoulfullyAButterfly

6 Steps to Beat Holiday Season Loneliness

@brightDayFairy

Subheadline: How you can rediscover happiness during Covid-19 and the holidays.

lamimoon March 23rd

@brightDayFairy

I love how your title sounds catchy and is very understandable. As for the improvement, I would add "the" before the number. Other than that, your titles are amazing!

lamimoon March 23rd

@SoulfullyAButterfly 

Activity: propose a new article title as well as a subheadline for this published article at 7 Cups.

TITLE: HOW TO OVERCOME LONELINESS IN HOLIDAY SEASONS?

SUBHEADLINE: Changing perspectives on reconnecting with people during COVID-19

InsightfulPhoenix March 25th

Wandering Thoughts of Pandemic 

Loving Support 

Togetherness 

Coping with Distancing 

Open doors of Opportunity 

Funzone 

Peace within the Grief 

FeureVox March 28th

@InsightfulPhoenix Hey Once again 😀,

I apologize; you are the last user feedback I evaluate again every time 😔.

The title is Unique and Emotionally Engaging.

Wandering Thoughts suggests a personal one that could draw readers seeking to understand or resonate with diverse emotional experiences of the pandemic.

The six Subheadings are Positive and Supportive. They cover a broad spectrum of pandemic experiences, from dealing with loss to finding joy and opportunity. Together, they build a comprehensive picture under the reflective umbrella of the main heading.

FeureVox March 28th
@SoulfullyAButterfly Thank you again for diving deep into my mind and opening up the deep, dusted, and buried chests of old knowledge with me.

My humble suggestion would be :
"Discovering Joy in Solitude: 3 Ways to Thrive Alone During the Holidays."

And the Sub-Headline:
Turning Solitude into Celebration: Your Compassionate Handbook for an Unforgettable Festive Season.
InsightfulPhoenix March 28th

@Feurevox

I just want to say good job conveying your thoughts with what you are aiming for, however the biggest thing for me is the lengthy subheadings. When you are reading a book or even an article, the subheadings are catchy and bring forth a sense of self through the author's wording. Perhaps try to shorten the subheadings and bring a little creativity to the titles. Lengthy subheadings with confuse the audience💖

FeureVox March 28th

@InsightfulPhoenix Thank you 🥰 for the insightful feedback!

I see your point about the subheadings and agree that shorter, more creative titles could enhance the article's appeal.

I’ll refine them to be catchier and clearer.

Your input is greatly appreciated! 🌟

@FeureVox

Good job. The title you suggested would certainly give an interesting and insightful article.

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Using the knowledge attained through this discussion, propose a new article title as well as a subheadline for this published article at 7 Cups.

New article title: Psychosis Essentials: 7 Things You Should Know.

Subheading for the article: How to keep loneliness at bay during the holidays.

@TogetherForeverAlways

That's indeed a curiosity provoking title, haha. Well done!

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Using the knowledge attained through this discussion, propose a new article title as well as a subheadline for this published article at 7 Cups.

How to feel less alone during holidays

gratitude
enjoyable company
hosting gatherings
proper use of social media
nostalgia 

BloomingSakura May 12th

propose a new article title as well as a subheadline for this published article at 7 Cups.

Title: How to Combat Loneliness during the Holidays

Subheadline: The 6 Ways to Celebrate a Festive Holiday Season during the Pandemic

@BloomingSakura

it  does good job of letting the reader knows what to expect

coolvibes June 10th

@BloomingSakura i love how uplifting and full of holiday cheer your response is. it is cear and lets the reader know what to expect.

Title Life changing Furry Friends: The Health  benefits

1 physical benefits 

2 mental benefits 

3 benefits for kids of having pets

Clarisse29 June 11th

@Heartsandrosesandpaws interesting title!

@Clarisse29

i think. Must of did wrong I thought we support to do the title of Artie and sub heading

coolvibes June 10th

@SoulfullyAButterfly  

propose a new article title as well as a subheadline for this published article at 7 Cups.

Title: Conquering Gloominess During Covid and The Holidays

SubTitle: Focusing on these tips will change the outcome

unassumingEyes June 18th

@coolvibes title catches the reader's attention well! Good title and subheadline. Well done! 

unassumingEyes June 18th

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Title: 

Dealing with Loneliness during COVID-19: A Detailed Guide

Sub-headline: 

Detailed tips on moving past the loneliness and towards celebration  

Clarisse29 June 18th

@unassumingEyes catchy title and good sub-headline!

@unassumingEyes

good title and subbtitke

PetiteSouris June 29th

"Title: Dealing with Loneliness during COVID-19: A Detailed Guide

Sub-headline: Detailed tips on moving past the loneliness and towards celebration"

-by @unassumingEyes

Reply to at least one other student’s response and share your feedback with them

@unassumingEyes, your title and sub-headline are creative alternatives for the current headline. 

sweetnutella Friday

@unassumingEyes I love how straightforward the title and the subheading that you came up with. They both sum up the article really well. Keep up the good work!

PetiteSouris June 29th

Using the knowledge attained through this discussion, propose a new article title as well as a sub-headline for this published article at 7 Cups.

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Article Title: "Covid 19 Holiday Edition: Walking away from loneliness"

Sub-headline: "Exploring creative coping mechanisms when lonely during holidays"

Clarisse29 July 1st

@PetiteSouris well done!