Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Starting over in 50s = overwhelming

anonuser2023 August 21st, 2023

I'm fairly new to 7cups and wasn't sure which forum to post in - Depression (because this is really messing with my head) or Over 50s (since I think that is adding pressure in this situation) - but this seems like a good spot. I've had a fairly non-traditional job history - lots of tourism and customer service work in my 20s & 30s, built a real estate career in my 40s but got burnt out. I've tried a few new things since (did an MA, worked in TV). Now I'm stuck with the feeling that I did everything wrong because I don't have a current career and am not set up for retirement. The thought of starting a new career at this point is daunting, and I've lost a lot of self-confidence. Such as, maybe I'm not successful because I'm not as smart as I thought I was, or I'm unable to commit to anything. I also feel so limited because the cost of rent / buying has increased so much that I hardly even know where to live. I have a history of jumping into things too quickly, so I'm trying to take some time to consider my next moves but I feel lethargic and uninterested in anything. I watch a lot of TV and it just feels like wasting time.

I just needed to get that off my chest, so thanks for listening.

toughTiger6481 August 21st, 2023

@anonuser2023

You are not alone ....... any time someone is going through a transition and starting over or something new they have those feelings of ...... what should I do? how can i get this done ASAP because honestly age is in the back of your mind ....... what ifs often lead people to take the procrastination road.

start small do one thing a day ........ network with old and new friends and acquaintances do not talk your self out of things but talk yourself up ..... you have a lot of life experience that is helpful.

RogueOne1983 August 22nd, 2023

@anonuser2023

I am going to bring up President Joe Biden in a non political way. He is 80 going on 81. And he is President, and running for re-election!! In his 80's!!!!!

So no you haven't reached a dead end. A plateau, sure. But lots of possibilities!!

KristenHR August 23rd, 2023

@anonuser2023

I'm really glad you posted. Starting over is never easy, but when we are older, it seems like it's going to be more difficult and there is more of a question if we can. but people do it frequently - change companies, create companies and remake themselves at this age and older.

When you think about what you would like to do with your life today, what comes to mind? Are there things that you can see yourself doing now? If it wasn't about your confidence, what would be something you would enjoy and would want to do for work?

Sometimes with the experience that comes with this age group, consulting is an option.

Depression can be difficult to manage and does happen sometimes when there are major changes that are unexpected, or other things that may be going on. You might want to consider talking to your physician related to the depression. Depression can impact motivation and the ability to do what you want or need to do, as well as lack of energy, loss of interest in things that once interested you and other changes.

anonuser2023 OP August 23rd, 2023

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the solidarity and inspiration. I've started working with a coach and hopefully can start building the life I've always said I wanted.

LavenderDaily August 25th, 2023

@anonuser2023 You're resilient and brave for trying different things. I can relate as I am doing the same thing in mid-life as well. I try to remember that there are no rules, no "right" way to do anything, and the future is not written so who knows what people, finances, jobs, etc will arrive.