Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Possible BDD??

raininglillies13 June 18th, 2021

So, I realized today that I might have BDD, but I of course don't want to self diagnose. I Do have BPD & OCD, I was reading that it can be comorbid with OCD. I have times where I look in the mirror and I don't feel like i'm seeing what others are. This morning I was looking at photos of myself and for whatever reason my face looked very different from what I think I look like. I usually avoid mirrors if I can, mostly with my face though. Is facial dysmorphia a thing? How does one work through this kind of thing?

FlourishingDimensions June 20th, 2021

@raininglillies13 Hi there, I posted this to your other post, but I want to also add it here, too :)
Glad you are here and thank you for sharing some of what you are going through.

https://www.7cups.com/forum/SupportPlus_205/BodyDysmorphicDisorderSupport_1588/BDD_139965/
*Note if helpful, a link within that post referenced: the souce is from International OCD Foundationation, the What is BDD (Body Dysmorphic Disorder).

raininglillies13 OP June 21st, 2021

@FlourishingDimensions

Thank you sososo much!!!! the link was incredibly helpful, and I actually found a study for OCD thats providing free cbt online for participants as well!

Hope you are well! :D

FlourishingDimensions June 21st, 2021

@raininglillies13
Thank you for the good wishes heart I hope your week started out nice!

IceCream4IceCream July 4th, 2021
Thank you so much for sharing @raininglillies13. I can see that you're dealing with a lot right now. Sending you hugs, or beams if preferred heart

Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD) is classified in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5) as a condition related to Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (they both fall under the same category of OCD and Related Disorders). So you're absolutely right, they can be co-morbid. Moreover, Body Dysmorphia can happen in any part of the body, so yes, it can be experienced with reference to your face.

That being said, as you mentioned, you can't self-diagnose, and I'm not allowed to give medical advice in my listener role. I believe that a healthcare provider can better support you in understand what exactly you're experiencing.

Here are some other resources that you might find helpful:

1. Mindfulness can sometimes be useful in coping with difficult thoughts.
2. We have community paths which you might like to try out.
3. You can speak to a listener comfortable providing 1-1 support with this topic. You can even filter the list of listeners by keywords like "BDD".
4. We have a self-help guide about Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.
5. Finally, chat rooms like the Sharing Circle or Support Room 24x7 are spaces where you can get group support.

Take care heart We're all here for you!
raininglillies13 OP July 29th, 2021

@jovialButterfly6752

Thank you soso much for this information!! Appreciate your help, i'll definitely check out those links! You take care as well <3 !!!!

wonderfulRainbow817 July 14th, 2021

Hey @raininglillies13! Thank you for sharing with us! I am sure all of this is quite confusing, but I want you to know we are all here for you!heart

raininglillies13 OP July 29th, 2021

@wonderfulRainbow817
Thank you so much!!! <3 <3 !!