Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Life with BiPolar 1

CaliConfined July 1st, 2023

How bizarre is this disorder? Will never understand it fully and how it deceiving it can be - just doesn't make sense. Once I pick up the pieces from my last episode and get some progress it all crumbles again.

Done giving myself false hope for the future of modern-day "success" and trying to accept the reality of not having a normal life. I have eliminated romantic relationships as it's not fair for the other person to deal with the bizarreness. NO CHANCE for having kids. Protecting friends from myself. Limiting liability all around. In terms of a career, I've bounced around a few paths which ultimately end in some facet due to my disorder. All this may sound extreme but so is this disorder - the need to prevent damage by extreme measures.

Anyways, new here and wanted to find other people out there with the same diagnosis/struggles. It seems the overall vibe I've seen is that the medical field still doesn't REALLY know what's going on as there are so many variables and each diagnosis is unique. I sincerely hope others out there are doing well. This post may sound depressing, but I am alright. Just wish it wasn't so.

cindyzheng1344 July 1st, 2023

@CaliConfined

I can relate to the struggle of false hope and accepting the reality of not having a "normal" life. It's tough to eliminate certain aspects like romantic relationships or having kids because we don't want to burden others. We try to protect our friends from ourselves and limit liability wherever we can. And man, the career path can be a wild ride too. I've bounced around a few different paths myself, only to face setbacks due to my own disorder.

I genuinely hope things are going well for others out there facing similar challenges. I know this post may sound a bit down, but trust me, I'm alright too. I just wish things weren't so darn complicated sometimes. Hang in there, and know that there's a supportive community here for you.

CaliConfined OP July 1st, 2023

@cindyzheng1344 Are you a bot? you repeated what I said back to me...almost exactly.

BlueMoon1994 August 1st, 2023

I lost all my friends, every relationship was an epic FAIL (I'm bipolar type one as well but wasn't diagnosed until I was nineteen) I am female and am in a committed relationship with a man I fully intend to marry, however I want a family as well and my aunt told me I could "NEVER" have children because I'm "sick" I broke down sobbing over the phone because that possibility would devastate me. I've known I've wanted a family since I was nine years old playing with dolls and I feel like my hopes and dreams are shattered.

I am trying to turn my life around and it seems like it's taking too long, I'm trying to have a more positive outlook on life because at the end of the day being angry doesn't lead to success. I'm not saying you're an angry person by any means but everyone's situation is different.

I'm in the process of trying to go back to college so I can have a career that isn't dead end. I just don't know what I'd be good at yet. It's never too late just don't give up.