Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Did you suspect it from the start or was it a surprise?

limegreenTalker2426 July 15th, 2023

So this is a legit question that I need to ask because at this moment I'm so unsure and I don't just want spend money I don't have to go and see a psychiatrist and then it's just the conditions I am already aware of. So here goes.

Did you suspect that you might have bipolar disorder or was it a surprise? Because I have little things I have noticed about myself, especially mentally and emotionally and I see tiny signs but then also it can also be my own mind playing tricks on me. I know I am honestly going to have to get more guidance and professional help cos I can feel myself slipping again but like I said I don't want to go for unnecessary time and money spending 🙈

MeaningfulSilence July 16th, 2023

@limegreenTalker2426

Hi there limegreenTalker2426!

Yes it's a legit question, you are welcome to come and share/ask about what you experience.

I personally think that to check with a professional could be positive, because you might discover things you didn't suspect and eventually to be told it's not what you were thinking is an achievement in terms of how to cope with your struggles.

Best wishes!

CaliConfined July 17th, 2023

@limegreenTalker2426

It's a tricky question and I am not sure I have the answer. They will diagnose off past behaviors and experiences and if you haven't had a full-blown manic episode yet it might be tough.

For me, it was a complete shock because your not expecting an episode, and wasn't convinced until I came down from my first mania.

One appt with a psychiatrist couldn't hurt and wouldn't be too hard on the wallet.

limegreenTalker2426 OP July 17th, 2023

Thank you for the response ❤️

BlueMoon1994 August 1st, 2023

I didn't realize I was bipolar until I was finally diagnosed at the age of 19. I went my entire childhood not knowing what was wrong with me.

Since you don't want to spend money unnecessarily I would recommend speaking with close friends and/or family that you can trust. As in supportive people who are not mean or judgemental in the slightest. The last thing anyone needs is the be judged and put down when they are already struggling to begin with.