Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Abilify

CaliConfined August 28th, 2023

Hello,

I took my first dose of Abilify (aripiprazole) today. This is in conjunction with my existing lithium regimen. The doctor said my medication wasn't quite right as been in a deep depression for months.

Does anyone else have experience with Abilify? I was hesitant about starting antipsychotics due to the connotation of the name (scary) and side effects but my recovery hit a wall and needed something more. I have kind of given in and will take anything recommended at this point as I am a pointless zombie human at this point. I am at the mercy of this disease. Leave thoughts if you wish.

Nix422 August 30th, 2023

@CaliConfined

I was on Abilify for ~2 years and I regret stopping it (my mom pressured me). The only negative side effects I had was weight gain and it made me drowsy 24/7. I fluctuated from 2 mg to 10 mg during those 2 years and it helped with the hallucinations I had from PTSD as well as the mood fluctuations with BP2.

CaliConfined OP August 31st, 2023

@Nix422

Why did your mom pressure you to stop? Just curious.

I am 3 days in and feel a little drowsy. How much weight did you gain?

Nix422 August 31st, 2023

@CaliConfined

She didn't like the way that my emotions were, sometimes too much, and other times I was a zombie. Between birth control, abilify, not exercising, and not eating healthily - I gained almost 60 pounds in 2 years :/

CaliConfined OP August 31st, 2023

@Nix422

Sometimes it's hard to get real answers on here so thank you, I really appreciate it.

What a messed up illness we have to deal with...

Zebrasarcastic August 31st, 2023

Hey! Glad you decided to reach out even of it was just to clear your mind. Aripip won't show it's effects right away and you'll have to wait at least 2 weeks to see how its effecting you. Make sure to share any changes of thoughts with anyone you can trust/can reach out to. Are you just on lithium and aripip or in conjunction with others still?

CaliConfined OP September 1st, 2023

@Zebrasarcastic

Just lithium and Abilify. Why you ask?

Zebrasarcastic September 1st, 2023

@CaliConfined

Let's call it professional curiosity! Just trying to see how it could pan out. It sounded like you've previously been on a different combination but it wasn't working it. What's something thats changing now?

CaliConfined OP September 2nd, 2023

@Zebrasarcastic

Just the seemingly never-ending search for normalcy/stability. I was on lithium and an antidepressant (Effexor) for a few years that involved more than a few manic moments. I ended up opting to end the Effexor due to the possibility of shooting me manic + some really awful physical side effects like brain zaps ... etc.

Since my last episode in March, my psychiatrist really just sort of leaned me into Abilify as I've been on the downswing for months now. I am usually reluctant to try new meds or even a whole new class, especially one as daunting as anti-psychotics, but cave when I feel there isn't much option. I simply cannot only take lithium.

For the past few months, I have been so depressed, angry, and irritable that the doctor recommended this. I know these drugs drown you out in a sense but maybe that's what I need, I have been at the will of my psychotic emotions/brain for so long now, maybe meeehh is fine.

Anyways, well see how it goes. Feel free to put any thoughts/experiences if you'd like. I sure would appreciate it!

Zebrasarcastic September 2nd, 2023

It won't necessarily mean mehh, but it could definitely be different. Also, changing even 5% of of current lifestyle also makes a different. See what affects what. How have you currently been feeling? Have you noticed a change?

CaliConfined OP September 2nd, 2023

@Zebrasarcastic

It's been 6 days so it's a little early. I have noticed that I am less irritable and susceptible to being angry at small inconveniences or little things that wouldn't normally bother people, but infuruate me. I have always thought the universe is out to get me and make my life harder, the medication has seemed to help with that... so far...

I honestly wouldn't mind my emotions being suppressed because they have been such an issue for years now.

Are you on anything currently? Doing ok?

Catpar0865 September 10th, 2023

I take abilify and it has helped me a great deal.

CaliConfined OP September 13th, 2023

@Catpar0865

What has it helped you with ? if you dont mind me asking

Catpar0865 September 13th, 2023

Decrease depression significantly

ksimmsy13 September 13th, 2023

I was on Abilify for about 8 years. I started on a low dose and quickly was on the max dose. Yet, It worked wonders for me. I’d still be on it if it were not for significant weight gain (100lbs)* in that time I was on it.

* For reference I weighted 140lbs pre Abilify and am 5 foot 1 inch.

@ksimmsy13

Thanks for the info. That's scary.

What did you switch to?

Switched to Rexulti.

@ksimmsy13

And did you eat well and exercise regularly? I am just trying to gauge this metabolic change I suspect with my body.

I ate the same as before, maybe a tiny bit worse and exercised about the same.

OnlyDarkness September 13th, 2023

@CaliConfined. WoW, just WoW we could be related I was offered Abilify when I was at a psychiatric facility in the recent past I was told I’d get the information about it but it didn’t come. I started thinking about it and Another patient told me it made her do some crazy stuff like she was dream cooking . Her husband was like Ohhhh that was really Weird .I then told the nurse that I decided against it and she said she didn’t like it because it was not tested enough .The psychiatrist Was surprised that I had read up on it and someone else there told you not to take it .Funny how things happened that way with Your Circumstances ✌️Out .brother .

l

Spockette September 16th, 2023

@CaliConfined

Hey I'm also on aripiprazole and lithium. Before it I was on risperidone which made me an absolute zombie and changed my entire metabolism. Abilify gave me a bit more of a "boost" than other antipsychotics have. I felt more of a need to do things and have become more active. I hope it is working well for you. Yes antipsychotics are known for weight gain but so is lithium. Eat healthy foods, and report unwanted side effects immediately. Please update me :) I'm interested to know how you are doing on this combination.

CaliConfined OP September 18th, 2023

@Spockette

Thanks for the comment. It almost seems you need to take some bad with the good in order to get better. Weight gain for better more stable moods... Just another negative we have to live with...

I am currently on 5mg Abilfy and it's been good. Appointment tomorrow to up my dose to 10 maybe 15mg, which I've read is the average dose. We'll see how it goes.

last2braincells September 19th, 2023

i take it, it works decent enough. i often miss the feeling of mania and am generally kind of indifferent, but i don’t think about unaliving as much so i guess it’s good? hope you have a good experience.