Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

What Does Autism Mean To You

beck1 September 6th, 2023

Hey all you wonderful people! ๐Ÿ‘‹

neurodiversity-autism-awareness.gif

Many of you have requested that we make a thread about the basics of autism so here we are! ๐Ÿ™Œ Its going to be a little bit of information and a little interactive ๐Ÿ™‚. If you want to scroll through all the writing and head straight to the questions, that's okay too! ๐Ÿ‘‡

What is autism?

Autism is a neurodevelopmental condition that may cause social, communicative and behavioral challenges.

Simply put, autism is basically something that can affect the way we view the world and how we communicate with others.

Autistic Traits

Autism isn't always noticeable! Society has its own belief of what autism is but really, there is no "face" to an autistic person. Here are some traits you may see in yourself if you are autistic

๐Ÿ’Ÿ Being literal

๐Ÿ’Ÿ Reduced range of emotions or expressions

๐Ÿ’Ÿ Stimming / fidgeting

๐Ÿ’Ÿ "Black and white" / rigid thinking

๐Ÿ’Ÿ Creativity

๐Ÿ’Ÿ Poor / excessive use of eye contact

๐Ÿ’Ÿ Anxiety around change

๐Ÿ’Ÿ Needing structure / routines

๐Ÿ’Ÿ Sensory issues

๐Ÿ’Ÿ Echolalia

๐Ÿ’Ÿ Difficulty fitting in

๐Ÿ’Ÿ Special interests

๐Ÿ’Ÿ Difficulty making and maintaining friendships

This is not all autistic traits, just some that I picked out so that you all could have a voice and share your own experiences

Now to the fun part - the questions!!

โœจ If you were to describe autism to someone, how would you describe it?

โœจ What autistic traits do you have? (They can be from the list or others)

โœจ What ways do you think being autistic impacts your life? These impacts can be positive or negative

Some other threads that you might find interesting ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

๐Ÿ’ป Teaching Listeners About Autism - check this thread out if you would like to teach the listeners here a little more about autism

๐Ÿ’ป Taglist - Feel free to sign up to our taglist so that you can be tagged in threads like this one!!

๐Ÿ’ป 5 Things You Shouldn't Say To Someone On The Autism Spectrum - @Jenna did an awesome job putting this thread together. Definitely recommend checking it out.

(all blue, underlined text is clickable)

Taglist : @Alwayshungry983 @AutiBoy @azuladragon34 @beck1 @courteousCoconut2519 @Fozziewozzie @GwydionRowan @HarmonyBlossom @HatsEatYou @Howegeorgia @Jenna @JustMeUwU @LoveMyMoonflowers @NightOwl2003 @Plantsaremybestfriends @sentientape @SillyBlue32 @SleepyShyCat @smileking @smolLITTLEpotato @SomebodySpicy @StressedGirl @SunnyCat0 @teenytinyturtle @theboymoana @tommy @unassumingPeach6421 @Vivikun9 @wishfulWillow6962 @Zahrian2112

Howegeorgia September 6th, 2023

Thank you beck๐Ÿ˜Š

beck1 OP September 6th, 2023

@Howegeorgia you're welcome! Hope you're enjoying this community!

Howegeorgia September 6th, 2023

@beck1

I am

AutiBoy September 6th, 2023

Autism personal feelings. I am autistic it's not a fault or something that makes you less. Without autism, I couldn't do the amazing things I can do. Autism is part of my personality and would not be me without it.

Autism is where we experience the world differently. We often feel things more intensely including emotions. I can hear and name 12 noises and there are many more I can't name. I have so much going on and I struggle to filter it all out.

In one word autism is intense.

I have all the traits from the list. I have lots of emotions but am unable to show and express them.

effect positively autism has given me a better understanding of others' differences and struggles as I struggle. I write stories and I have a good imagination. I have a better sense of right and wrong and I will step up to help when there is something wrong going on.

Effect Negative, not understanding, anxiety, meltdowns and shutdowns are my pet hates.

beck1 OP September 6th, 2023

@AutiBoy

I love how you started the reply to this thread! I absolutely agree - its not a fault!

Autism can be pretty intense at times! Especially (for me) the sensory stuff I deal with

Ooh I love that you write stories! That sounds like a lot of fun! Would you ever want to make a career out of that or is it something you do for fun?

It sounds like you are a very caring person and want to make sure that people are treated right! I hope that one day people like you can have a ripple effect on the world! We need more people who genuinely care.

Meltdowns can be tough. Have you found anything that is helpful in those times? Are you able to notice when they are about to happen?

Plantsaremybestfriends September 7th, 2023

I would describe it as seeing the world differently like how two (2) people can see the same painting and interpret it in different ways.

I have several but a few are sensory issues, difficulty understanding tone, and having special interests.

โœจ What ways do you think being autistic impacts your life? These impacts can be positive or negative

Being autistic impacts me both positively and negatively. A lot of times the negative impact is just because I live in world that is not built for my needs. This is things like people assuming I can't do things because I'm autistic or sensory issues from a lack of accommodations. I have also been impacted positively because I have made a lot of really strong friendships because we were both autistic or had the same special interests at the time.

beck1 OP September 7th, 2023

@Plantsaremybestfriends

Ooh I like the painting example that you gave! Love that!!

Thanks for sharing some traits too. Understanding tone can definitely be tricky! Do you feel comfortable sharing what your special interests are?

I think most of us can relate to what you're saying about living in a world that isn't built for our needs and that can definitely be exhausting at times.

Are there any accommodations that you feel like you're not getting right now that you feel like you still need?

Yay! Glad to hear that you have strong friendships! Thats definitely important!

Plantsaremybestfriends September 7th, 2023

My special interests are greek mythology and percy jackson!

For accommodations, I don't have a space at school to decompress, which I think would be really nice.

StressedGirl September 21st, 2023

Hey! Can I say I think you're very brave for advocating for your needs, so I'd encourage you to keep doing that (altho I totlly recognise it's really annoying when people don't accommodate our needs, so what I mean is if the world was better built for our needs then you wouldn't need to advocate. I'm trying to say you should feel extra feel done for advocating bcos you shldn't be having to do that (if the world just accomodated our needs more). Sorry if this is confusing my language processing is off today.

Yes, echo, painting example, 100% wndrfl! :) That is SUCH a great and accurate description of what autism is/how it affects us (sorry, my language processing off today so not sure if words right, makes sense?)

theboymoana September 7th, 2023

@beck1

Get help my brother still autism not understand not know traits things very confused to me need help ๐Ÿฅฒ

describe autism how ? Confusing very confusing do not understand it learning more still confuse

autistic traits have ? Lani and Ahe say Nahoa lot traits from list some is very literal lot stimming and rigid thinking poor eye contact .need routine do not like change sensory issues and lot other things to like struggle with conversation struggle understand direction ,not understand danger hard understand emotions .meltdowns canโ€™t control and really hard go from doing one thing to another

impacts life how ? Not know because not understand autism lot confusing โ˜น๏ธ just brothers try help understand still little and think autism part why hard make friends and lot meltdowns because overwhelmed anxious all time just think not positive thing

beck1 OP September 7th, 2023

@theboymoana always nice see you! ๐Ÿ‘‹

Autism confusing! I still learning! I just realized I'm autistic! We learn together!! ๐Ÿ™‚

What confuses you the most about autism? I try help!

Glad your brothers helping you! It okay to have traits! I have most what you listed ๐Ÿ™‚ You did awesome explaining what your traits are! You can always message me if you need talk!

It okay not know. Glad brothers help! Making friends hard but glad you part of this community! I smile when I see you reply!

theboymoana September 9th, 2023

@beck1

yes learn together ok confuse most do not know โ˜น๏ธjust not understand โ˜น๏ธother things diagnose have thing ? Autism ? Not ? Deaf not hear Epilepsy seizures intellectual disability hard learning things

What autism ? make meltdown cry make no friends make shower brush teeth hurts bad make have hurt self feel better๐Ÿฅฒsuch bad but see lot say autism NOT disability autism good things them .why is worst thing me ? โ˜น๏ธ

Very confusing just happy brothers help you help no so alone ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿฅฒ๐Ÿ’›

beck1 OP September 11th, 2023

@theboymoana

Yay! Learn together! Thank you sharing diagnosis! Want share more? I listen

Here definition autism... Autism condition affect how someone brain work. It harder communicate and socialize! Sometimes repeat things. Sometimes really strong interests! Everyone different and struggle differently. Some people need extra support daily. Sometimes hard live alone or need reminders a lot!

You did great job sharing! Meltdowns hard ๐Ÿ˜” Make friends hard too! You have friends here!! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Brush teeth and showering can overstimulate meaning a lot for brain handle!

Happy your brothers help too!! Makes me happy hear that!

beck1 OP September 8th, 2023

@EmptySyndrome You can do so here

GwydionRowan September 9th, 2023

@beck1

autism is a neurological disorder that mainly effects oneโ€™s ability to communicate with others however it can effect many other aspects of persons life. That how I normally start to explain it but I always get stuck after that.

I love how you added echolalia to the list it is something I have that I feel isnโ€™t mentioned as much. Another thing I have like never seen talked about is excessive eye contact itโ€™s always not a lot but I have to remind myself to look away from peoples eyes cuz I stare so much. I also have a hard time expressing emotion and feeling them when there is not a lot happening itโ€™s normal in the moment I feel and express emotion. Another big one I wish people around me new about is going non verbal

@GwydionRowan

Thank you for sharing your definition! You did an awesome job! I've also seen I know it can be tricky to explain it sometimes but maybe it could be helpful for you to read other peoples replies here too?

It's kinda well known that autistics struggle with eye contact but I think excessive eye contact is definitely less talked about.

I can hear you would want people to understand going non verbal too! Would you like to share a little more about that?

Hi @ GwydionRowan, interested in the going non verbal cos I get that (when I'm in a meltdown, is that when that happens for you too)? I get that you maybe don't experience things the same way as me (I don't know how you process language so I don't know quite where to pitch this, sorry, my own language processing is bad right now and working memory is poor so I don't remember the comments long enough to reply (poor executive function, autism).

Hey! That's another thing that needs to be mentioned! :) I struggle hugely with executive function. There's discrepancy on how many areas of executive function there are but they really impair someone's ability to do everyday tasks, like replying to a comment, if you have an executive function impairment.

Like my other autism traits, it's not all the time I experience the executive function impairment but I had a brief look recently at a list and I struggle majorly with nearly every area apart from maybe 2/3 at most.

So it significantly impairs my ability to do everyday tasks.

0B September 9th, 2023

1. The way my brain is wired is just different. I'm like a older pc, I can't handle too many opened tabs.

2. From the list: Stimming / Fidgeting, Creativity, Anxiety around change, Sensory issues, Special interests, Difficulty making and maintaining friendships.

- I experience and absorb emotions very intensely, feels kinda like I'm cursed sometimes ๐Ÿ˜… I work on trying my best too figure out and label what emotions I may be feeling too help better understand myself.

- Going out is a lot for me too handle. If I'm able too get myself in a strong headed mindset I can handle it a littlebit, but I struggle with just going too even one place. And tend too stim, hide in my arms, and get delusional and non-communicative when I'm at my limit. Doesn't help when my parents make comments about how we shouldn't have gone out, or get mad/annoyed at me (makes it worse as im an emotional sponge).

- I don't have friends and struggle too maintain the ones i could've made, I've come too accept it at this point ๐Ÿง–

- I struggle with remembering too do self care, and I very easily hyperfixate on my hobbys and interests.

@0B

I like how you mentioned not being able to handle too many open tabs! Thats a good way to explain it

Does anything generally help you when you're having anxiety with changes happening in your life?

Would you feel comfortable sharing what your special interests are? ๐Ÿ™‚

Do you find it helpful if someone is going out with you? Does it make it a little less overwhelming? I'm sorry that your parents get mad ๐Ÿ˜”

If you were to make some solid friendships, what would that look like for you?

0B September 11th, 2023

I mostly can only let the moments past, or hide up in ball of blankets like a curled shrimp. But I guess what helps most is wearing my yellow duck "neck pillow" around my neck (a plushy version of a rubberducky poolfloaty hoop from some plushy I found, its a stretchy-rainboot-shinyish like material with what I assume too be mochi polyester inside it, I like the way it feels and it comforts me lots when i do wear it) it kinda feels like i am the duck, since I can see its head in my view (sorta like a first person game?), and makes me feel like that all, if any, attention is directed towards the duck, and not me. This aswell as having my rubberducky with me.

I like too make art, mainly character designs/concepts. Also playing Minecraft aswell as reading.

Yes. I never go out on my own without atleast one of my family members. My sibling is the best when we go out, never had been judged.

I guess it would be playing Minecraft and some other multiplayer games. Discussing stuff we've read, and sharing about the stuff were doing. Also movie nights and just chatting on voice calls.

practicalIdeal2007 September 11th, 2023

@beck1

@beck1

My brain works differently than other people.

• Literal
  • Sensory issues (texture, light, and sound)
  • Difficulty fitting in
  • Unable to read facial expressions or body language.
  • Need a routine
  • Difficulty making friends
  • Social anxiety
  • Don't like to be touched
  • I'm too blunt, I don't mean to be though

Having autism makes it difficult for me to have people in my life. I have lots of miscommunications and people when I try to explain what I meant people disagree and tell me I meant something else. I don't understand hints, so people hint things to me and I miss it. I don't try to talk to people much anymore because it creates problems.

@practicalIdeal2007 Oh, I'm really sorry you're finding things so hard right now (emotionally)! (just thought I wld add that in in case you might take it literally).

I'm interested in the texture thing (I've never heard that mentioned before in terms of sensory things - I'm worried you'll be offended - I'm extremely sensitive to criticism/teasing so I struggle to understand that other people might not be so offended as I am or rather not at all).

I'm interested whether you're over/under sensitive (or can it go between the two and each has its own scale, if that makes sense), or sometimes are you ok with texture, too? (like I don't always experience autistic traits).

I'm sorry if I'm not clear enough - my language processing kinda broke just now but I realise it might make it difficult for you to understand.