Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Steps toward therapy

ALeafRake February 6th, 2020

Hey all, Im new but recently Ive found the drive to start tackling the major anxiety and depression I deal with every day. One way Ive stated to do that is to join a community like thuis and another is to start scheduling therapy sessions. Just wondering if there is anyone here who goes to therapy and can give me some tips on how it works and how you articulate your issues to someone else.

Stayp0sitiv3 February 6th, 2020

@ALeafRake Good for u for deciding to make your mental health a priority 👏🏼 Therapy is THE BEST! Ive been seeing my therapist for 7 years for my anxiety, and I continue to look forward to our sessions.

So let me give you some insight:

Therapy is amazing, but it cant be a one way street. You have to be willing to open up and also give them feedback. That being said, you have to vibe well with your therapist to make it work. U arent going to open up if u dont feel comfortable. So u are completely entitled to change therapists, and u shouldnt feel bad about it either. Therapists know that they cant help u if u arent comfortable with them, so its best to be honest with them and yourself. Dont be discouraged if u dont find your therapist right away. There is someone out there for u, so dont give up until u find the right person to talk to.

Personally, I see my therapist every 2 weeks, because I feel that it helps hold me accountable for the changes/growth Im trying to make. Therapy has this stigma of being expensive, but a lot of places/people offer sliding scales for low income or students. So definitely ask about that if money is an issue or concern for not going as often as youd like.

U are going to learn SO much about yourself and the best part, in my opinion, is that when you gain insight into yourself u also gain insight into others and develop stronger empathy skills and learn about healthy boundaries.