Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

I can

Iamtryingtogetbett3r June 3rd, 2019

Like the title says, I cant seem to keep a conversation going. I have started to notice this since I was around 8th grade. Ive had the same friends since 8th grade, and i think this is largely due to the issue that i have. Whenever a social situation presents itself, such as when a classmate wants to talk and starts the conversation with Hey, how are you doing? I always find myself saying the same thing over and over again (Im fine, how are you?) and then their response is the last of the conversation because I end up feeling anxious or flustered. I dont know how or why I started being like this and I dont know whether its actually anxiety, depression, or something else because Ive never actually been brave enough to talk about it with my doctor in fear of being told that its just me sabotaging myself or something like that. I think that thoughts largely due to the fact that my mom (someone I entrust with all my struggles) has told me this whenever I try to share some issues I may be having with my mental health. I have resorted to keeping all my mental health issues to myself and isolating myself from the outside world (including my close friends) which I find is quite comforting. I dont know whats wrong with me, but this community seemed like it suited my worries the best. I hope I get some responses.

Mesop June 4th, 2019

@Iamtryingtogetbett3r

I have the same issue. I notice when other people talk that they can carry it for ages and talk about anything under the sun while I can't do anything but say hello. Today a woman tried to make conversation with me and I couldn't even look her in the eyes.

I don't think it's you sabotaging yourself. For me, it's fear. I'm afraid of saying the wrong thing, or just failing to say anything important so I say nothing. And I think it's important to know, it's okay to feel that way.

Not everyone is a conversation genius. It's okay to just listen, to shyly shrug and say nothing. You don't owe anyone your words. Share them when you can.

Hope this helps.

Iamtryingtogetbett3r OP June 8th, 2019

@Mesop It does, thank you! I

Daydreamer47 September 18th, 2019

@Iamtryingtogetbett3r That definitely sounds like social anxiety to me. I have a similar problem of feeling nervous. I find I can talk more if we're doing something like cooking or playing a game or in certain environments like being outside or with pets there.

Maybe your mom can help you find a mental health counselor not just a medical doctor? A therapist will be familiar with social anxiety and can help you set goals around that.

sweetMirage5534 September 19th, 2019

Stay strong :) @Iamtryingtogetbett3r

hebbie462 September 19th, 2019

Hi! Im Heather

I am so glad you came to this site! Sometimes it can be easier to talk to someone in a more anonymous way๐Ÿ˜ƒ I think the best way to keep s conversation going, is to ask questions that require more than a one or two word answer and to ask the person about themselves.

I dont think theres anything wrong with you... I think you just might need a brush up on your social skills a little. You have had the same friends for a long time, so you havent had to practice meeting new people

Butterflee June 4th, 2019

@Iamtryingtogetbett3r i jave traces of attention defficit and it's always been hard for me to concentrate on one thing (conversations especially) but I pushed myself, in time got a bit better...it may be that you are young or introverted or shy like me or not into chit-chat like me. In old times they used to train teens in the "arts of conversation"๐Ÿ˜Š. You are fine whatever it is and you are not alone in having this difficulty๐Ÿค—๐Ÿค—๐Ÿค— I feel you...

Iamtryingtogetbett3r OP June 8th, 2019

@Butterflee It very well may be all the things you

Butterflee June 8th, 2019

@Iamtryingtogetbett3r hugs and BEAMS!

*gives you flowers ๐Ÿ’๐ŸŒธ๐Ÿ’ฎ๐Ÿต๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒบ๐ŸŒป๐ŸŒผ๐ŸŒท

blueHickory43 September 11th, 2019

I also have that problem, sometimes even with my boyfriends I had this issue. It's like I block and don't know what else to say and then get nervous because I think they are expecting me to say something.