Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Can't Get Close to People

FallingCrescent July 29th, 2016

Anxiety is seriously inhibiting my ability to connect with people. For years I've never been able to connect with someone on shall we say a "BFF" level. Those quirky things you do with someone? Yeah, I can't seem to get to that point. It all feels like I'm pretending I feel close to some of my friends when really I feel so distant to them. I don't let loose and show a more personal side of me, perhaps due to depression? I don't know how to connect with people, it all feels so fake. I want to get close to people, I want to connect!

freshHug78 July 29th, 2016

@FallingCrescent I have been there . I totally understand . Feel free to PM me . Worry less ! :-) And just be you !

Daydreamer47 August 8th, 2016

@Whirlwindbrigade Yeah I've been there. Today I was talking to my friend Saul and trying to explain how I feel really lonely and struggle with relationships, and I was having social anxiety during the whole convo and felt like the words I really wanted to say to express my feelings were stuck inside. So now I still feel lonely and misunderstood. :(

Daydreamer47 August 4th, 2016

@FallingCrescent Awww. I think I am going through something similar. :( I have a very small number of close friends, and even them I am afraid to tell certain things. I guess the main thing that helped me is fb messenger or text, because I find it easier to tell people personal things that way than in person.

FallingCrescent OP August 6th, 2016

@Daydreamer47

I find messaging easier too. Though I still slightly freak out when trying to think of something to send back or when I send something and am awaiting a reply.

Daydreamer47 August 8th, 2016

@FallingCrescent Yeah I have that too, especially if it's a really personal "confession" type of message. :( But baby steps I guess. I've tried making lists of things I want to tell people, and I try to tell them one at a time.

JamieSclafaniLMSW August 6th, 2016

connecting with others on a personal level is a normal desire and need. We all need companionship at some point in our lives. Sometimes are experiences can shape if we are able to have strong relationships, or not. @FallingCrescent