Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Taking time off work

BorahaeAndHappiness May 24th, 2023

Hi everyone. I decided to take a leave of absence from work because my mental health is really bad right now. My anxiety and depression are very bad especially my anxiety. It almost feels like my soul was ripped out and replaced with anxiety instead if that makes any sense.

Anyway, I have some plans for what to do on my time off but would like more ideas. I'd like ideas to help me heal during this time. I already have plans to see a doctor so please don't say that. ๐Ÿ˜Š I'm looking for other things right now that don't have to do with a doctor or medicine.

Ideas so far...

Get outside

Meditate

Read bible

Read a book

Listen to music

Go to my happy places (libraries or bookstores)

What other ideas do you have?

Thanks ๐Ÿ˜Š

Jaeteuk May 24th, 2023

Good for you for taking time off from work, so you have time to heal from mental health. Stress leaves are important to take when we work for people like us. This is a smart first step for you.

May I recommend a book(s), seeing how you read the Bible, if you haven't read books from Eckhart Tolle yet, his books are spiritual-based, but are very powerful and brings light into our mental health (how we should think). They are easy to read and aren't very long (thick).

If you're able to, maybe go on a mini vacation or even a day trip. Stay away from technology devices, and let yourself free. Just enjoy yourself in the moment.

@BorahaeAndHappiness

BorahaeAndHappiness OP May 25th, 2023

Thanks for the book recommendation. I'll definitely check that out. ๐Ÿ˜Š

I forgot to tag @Jaeteuk

VivianFei May 24th, 2023

hi I would recommend finding a interest and join a interest group. For example I like drawing group and I joined a drawing group and it has been a meditating experience which I was also able to make a friend.

Great idea! @vivianfei

dancingcat828 May 25th, 2023

@BorahaeAndHappiness

Im glad you have have taken some time for yourself.

For me, hobbies like crocheting, reading and small bursts of intense exercise helps managing negative emotions, perhaps they could help you too!

resourcefulGlobe6827 May 26th, 2023

@BorahaeAndHappiness I'm going through the same thing. I have debilitating anxiety and can't work or do school. I would try talking to friend, watching comedy, and going to church or getting together with a group that cares about you. Also talk about your issues with people you trust.

GuardianOfPeace June 1st, 2023

@BorahaeAndHappiness You should be proud that you are taking time off to care for yourself. Having plans and being open to suggestions are active steps towards self improvements.
I find journaling very helpful. Writing down things like:
What are some things you like about yourself? things that others like about you? What coping mechanisms you can use when not feeling good? and so on. Other than that, just relax and don't ask too much of yourself. :)

AayushreeKalyani June 2nd, 2023

@BorahaeAndHappiness you have already mentioned going outside, but i really wish I had a small waterfall nearby i could go to whenever my anxiety would get the better off me. In case you do have one nearby, you may try visiting one, the experience in itself is so so surreal.

colorfulLily4704 June 3rd, 2023

Iโ€™m so sorry to hear you have been struggling lately. Good job recognizing that you need a break from work to allow yourself to focus on your mental health. Itโ€™s also really good to hear you are seeing a professional to help you. You seem to have some great ideas about things you can do. I see you already have this on your list, but going outside and getting some fresh air can be really freeing. Maybe you could even try doing your reading outside.

I hope you start feeling better soon!

rayna000 June 3rd, 2023

@BorahaeAndHappiness

Kudos to you on taking a leave from work for your mental health, and as you said, mainly anxiety! anxiety can be treacherous sometimes. its valid. hope the visit with the doctor makes it better too.

some ideas to maybe help heal, can also include some foods that help with anxiety/stress like, icecream, dark chocolate, veggies, tea, and yoga helps too.

i hope you feel better soon, @borahaeandhappiness

cccocoapuffs June 8th, 2023

@BorahaeAndHappiness

Taking time off is a wonderful idea, i think you have a lot of wonderful ideas that you can do to help how you are feeling. something i like to do when feeling stressed is painting.

pinkPine1354 June 8th, 2023

@BorahaeAndHappiness Play Sims 4 if you dont already its a free game on the PC! I find it to be a very stress relieving game if you like the building on there once you learn it...you can buy expansions and ther games fir more building objects and CAS mode if you enjoy it๐Ÿ˜Š

adaptableCoconut9108 June 8th, 2023

@BorahaeAndHappiness try out a new hobby! Painting or coloring books usually help me