Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

My brain loves a good panic (not really. help?)

GreenSpiralNotebook December 28th, 2019

Hello all :)

Even though exams are over and it's christmas break, i still feel overwhelmed and like something bad is about to happen. Which is unreasonable, considering it's Christmas and there's nothing wrong. I've been experiencing anxious 'episodes(?)' as well where it gets hard to breath and my heartrate increases for around 30ish minutes. But i don't want to tell people because there's no reason for me to feel the way i do, and i also haven't been daignosed with an anxiety disorder, so i'm probably overreacting. I'm just sort of confused and constantly on edge and I've really got no idea what's going on, so does anyone have thoughts or advice?

Sorry this paragraph was so lengthy, haha.

waverid3r December 28th, 2019

@GreenSpiralNotebook Just curious, have you ever been to a psychiatrist for a formal diagnosis or have any intention to be diagnosed?

GreenSpiralNotebook OP December 28th, 2019

@waverid3r no, i'm pretty hesitant to talk about this with even with friends and family, and it was actually really hard to post to the forum too.

shadowmothhh December 28th, 2019

@GreenSpiralNotebook

that sounds a lot like a panic attack. youre not overreacting. this is what your brain recognizes as a real feeling of dread. this is real fear. its so hard to deal with, I know. you should try some breathing exercises. if its caused by a specific situation you should get out of it immediately. if theres someone you know that can calm you down, ask for help. if your hands are shaking, try drawing, writing, using a fidget spinner or anything to keep them busy. go to a doctor. you can get diagnosed and prescribed medicine that can help with your anxiety. therapy also helps. dont restrain yourself to a small space when having a panic attack, if possible. if youre in the car, pull over immediately if possible. dont drive when panicked. if someone else is driving you, see if theyll pull over for you to get out for a moment. I had my first panic attack years ago, which lasted 30 minutes, was in a car, everyone thought I was being dramatic, couldnt stop crying, couldnt breathe, didnt know what it was. it was the worst. if you feel like this again, remind yourself that its a panic attack, youre in no real danger, youre safe, and youre not dying. do anything you can to make yourself feel secure.

GreenSpiralNotebook OP December 28th, 2019

@Jisola thank you very much for the advice, i'll keep this in mind :)