Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

I'm starting to feel a bit isolated.

twentysomething27 April 26th, 2017

I have come to the realization that part of my stress/ anxiety is being caused by the fact that I don't make friends or meet new people very easily. I do have friends, but my only close friend lives far and isn't available to talk very often. ANy other friends are people I met that my boyfriend has been friends with and I don't relate to them well. I'm not sure what to do.

adaptablehouse7827 April 26th, 2017

@twentysomething27 same issue here. Only friend is 2 hours away and I haven't made an original friend since 3rd grade. No girlfriend or anyone to introduce me to anyone. In school clubs but I don't connect with anyone there.

twentysomething27 OP April 27th, 2017

@adaptablehouse7827 I think the worst part is knowing there are people there that could end up being friends, but you don't know what to do or say to initiate it. I do like the group that I hang out with, but I'm the odd one out, and I feel like I'm the mom if the group. I'm sorry that you feel this way too. I know it isn't fun.

easypeace April 30th, 2017

@twentysomething27 You can't rush meeting the right type of people :) They come at the right time by very different circumstances. Focus on yourself; you are what essencially attracts these types of "right" people into your life-appeal as what you are: productive, joyful, and caring. Analyze on what you think you can improve about yourself and start radiating the wonderful person that you are!

sunshineKitty58 April 28th, 2017

@twentysomething27 Im sorry to hear that you are feeling a bit isolated or out of placec in your friendship circle, it is hard to make new friends when youre struggling with anxiety too. It may be helpful to look up some groups in your area for people who share similar interests, so for Art perhaps a small art group? I understand it is hard witht he anxiety so maybe some one can go with you or you can have an emergency exit plan. Perhaps speak to the group leader about your fears and see if you can sit by the door so you can take a break if you need to, this may help in getting out and finding people with similar interests?

plumBlueberry9959 June 15th, 2017

twentysomething27 have you ever heard of Dev Hynes? He used to go by Lightspeed Champion, he is a musician who totally has a different persona from who he was five years ago. Artists and actors do this - I think sometimes it can help to play the role of someone who is you but also is good at making friends.

plumBlueberry9959 June 15th, 2017

twentysomething27 have you ever heard of Dev Hynes? He used to go by Lightspeed Champion, he is a musician who totally has a different persona from who he was five years ago. Artists and actors do this - I think sometimes it can help to play the role of someone who is you but also is good at making friends.