Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Fear of going crazy

StarlightEma February 19th, 2022

Hey guys,

I have severe anxiety and when I get into an anxiety episode it's horrible. My mood swings are so bad, especially if I don't sleep enough. I have this overwhelming fear of going crazy and every thought is giving me anxiety... I'm attending psychotheraphy once a week and it helps, but I wanted to ask for some advice what to do during an anxiety episode. I do breathing exercises and relaxation. What helps you when you can't stop overthinking?

thoughtfulmomma February 19th, 2022

@StarlightEma

I practice "the art of distraction." LOL Seriously, I'm having an anxiety attack right now because I'm worrying about something/someone. All of the breathing and meditating aren't going to calm me down, so I do my best to distract myself. I mean, sitting here not doing anything will just make my brain think about what I'm worried about. So, I play a game, or do some housework - something to at least ease the anxiety.

It sucks and it doesn't always work. In meditation there's this idea of sitting with the anxiety/issue and addressing it without worrying about it. So for me, rather than just letting my brain take over and freak me out about my issue, I try to sit here, analyze why I'm feeling this way. Why am I worried? Is it logical to be worried right now? Does worrying change the situation? It's sort of like having a conversation with the issue. That helps me a little.

Sometimes all of the tools in my toolbox don't work, and that's the worst. I know it will pass, but waiting for it to pass is really awful.

chakragirl August 19th

Hello đŸ‘‹đŸ»

I'll be honest on the hard ones the better thing is distract myself, I use a lot the turn up the radio. Walking a little also help.

I was always focused on meditation and breathing but those only helped me during more "light attacks".

During the others I acknowledge the tought, and the go distract myself.

If I have someone close to me I also speak to them. Also help.

But, everything it will be ok. 💝

boundto33 August 28th

Hello @StarlightEma. I understand how ungrounded and overwhelming the racing thoughts can feel while experiencing a heavier episode of anxiety. The intensity can feel incredibly scary, and I've also found that not getting enough sleep can sometimes make it a lot trickier to deal with as well. As terrifying as the obsessive fear of going crazy can be to experience, I wanted to let you know that it is a common experience to have while dealing with the more intense symptoms of anxiety. Feeling like there was no one I could talk to about my fears of going crazy made me feel like I was alone in my experience, and I started looking for every way I could to outlet a lot of my worries on paper which brought me relief. I'm glad to hear that psychotheraphy is helping you. How helpful do you think it would be to pour out the thoughts into something tangible? Would that bring you any relief?

generousSmiles7332 August 28th

Hi @StarlightEma. It sounds like you are going through an incredibly challenging time with severe anxiety and mood swings, and I can really empathize with how overwhelming and disorienting those racing thoughts can be. The fear of losing control is terrifying, and it’s made even harder by things like lack of sleep. I have been there myself and found that grounding techniques, like the 5-4-3-2-1 method, can sometimes help anchor you back to the present. Engaging in activities that capture your attention or expressing your thoughts through journaling can also provide relief. It is okay to be kind to yourself during these tough moments and to explore different strategies. Since you are already working with a therapist, discussing these ideas with them might help you find what resonates most with you. How do you feel about trying some of these approaches?

Tcwoods August 29th

@StarlightEma 

hi hun your not alone I went through this many years ago , please remember all annixty sensations and intrusive thoughts can’t harm us , they may feel real but they are just thoughts and sensations, allow them to come and go try not to fight them , they soon leave just like any other emotion x

ipauline September 7th

@StarlightEma

This situation seems challenging, I'm glad you are attending psychotherapy and that you are seeking tips for techniques for controlling this feeling.

Breathing exercises are my favorite technique, I'd suggest doing it in brief time lapses (for 1-2 minutes) and repeating as long as you need to. Another one is to go for a walk, outdoors or just inside your house. Also, it could be beneficial to journal all your thoughts, and if it is a repetitive situation, you could share the journaling in your therapy. 😊 

Sleep hours are important for reducing mood changes... IMO it is a good factor to focus on improving as well 💙

Musicandfilms September 8th

Hi there,

I' m under a medical treatment with a psiquiatrist for my depression, anxiety and panic attacks, breathing exercises don't work for me, my doctor gave me anti anxiety medication, is the only thing that helps me. I don't know if it will help you but maybe consult a doctor. I hope you feel better, hugs

Moonishere00 September 9th

@StarlightEma

Everyone has their own loves and hobbies which usually help some out a lot!! For example, I find peace and relaxation through drawing! Whether that’s a full drawing or just a silly little doodle!!

That also applies with some games on your phone like sorting/relaxing games, anything to pre-occupy your brain!!

KayAsh September 9th

I cocoon myself in a blanket, hypnotise myself with TV shows or listen to a podcast of people I wish I could be friends with.....not ideal but it helps me relax and stops racing thoughts.