Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Driving Anxiety

ellabellie September 18th, 2017

I have always had pretty terrible driving anxiety. As soon as I started driving, I felt anxious and out of control. This wasn't brought on by any accident or anything. I have pretty bad anxiety issues just generally, and this is one manifestation of them.

I can drive around places that I'm familiar with without anxiety. I start to feel very anxious if I have to drive somewhere new or somewhere I haven't been in awhile. I have never driven very far from my house either (maybe max distance was 30 minutes away).

I also have bad anxiety about driving on highways. I have been practicing driving on a highway near my house with a very large merge lane, but I would feel like I would crash if I had to merge in a normal amount of time.

I have looked into defensive driving classes, but unfortunately, most of these are online classes. I have also looked at exposure therapy, but I don't think I can afford any of it, because it is not covered by my insurance. Does anyone have experience with overcoming driving anxiety? Any tips at all are helpful.

lyra21 September 18th, 2017

@ellabellie i have no tips for you (i'm pretty useless, considering i can't drive yet) , but i do experiance the same thing. whenever i get into a car, i get really anxious. i wish i could help, because then i could also help myself, but hopefully we'll be able to get over it.

romanticthi3f September 19th, 2017

@ellabellie

Thanks for reaching out with this! Driving anxiety is incredibly common. This is something that I experienced too when first learning to drive. I even had a few car accidents so again I really had to work hard to conquer my anxiety!

Exposure therapy is definately the way to go here. Even though ideally it should be done with a therapist you can definately start to do this on your own.

The way that it works is by making a bit of a list of the biggest scariest thing that you can do, and then making tiny baby steps to reach the top. So you mentioned that you can drive in familiar places without anxiety - would it cause any anxiety if you were to drive longer around those places? What could be the next step to push you just a tiny bit out of your comfort zone? If your max distance for driving away from the house is 30 minutes; how much of that causes anxiety? Could you drive 35 minutes and then turn around? Ideally the more that you start to do this and push your comfort zone just a tiny bit more the easier that it will be.

smiley

Kate September 19th, 2017

@ellabellie Driving anxiety is really common and nothing to be ashamed of. Cars are scary! I used to have the same anxiety. For me, the more I did it the easier it got. Start with short, easy drives and work your way up. Every day make a goal to drive for a little longer and eventually make the goal to drive to new places. The scariest place for me was the highway, so that was the final step. You can do this! The more you practice, the easier it will get.

TheHoneyDoll September 19th, 2017

@ellabellie

I find slowing down helps a lot and listening to upbeat, soothing music rather than, say, rock or hip hop. If you feel really antsy, pull over and try to recooperate :) We all get driving anxiety at first so it's perfcetly okay to feel nervous. Just be sure not to feel too overwhelmed and if you do, take a break and pull over or let someone else drive.

lovelyWhisper66 September 19th, 2017

@ellabellie Hi there, and thanks for reaching out here; I commend you for sharing your experience with us. I've had anxiety for years, and it critically influenced my driving especially when I first started learning. I'm glad that you have looked into various options to help manage the anxiety. As stated before, driving anxiety is pretty common, so you are definitely not alone.

Definitely practice makes perfect, and exposure is the best way of tackling anxiety. Of course, you take it step by step (i.e. drive 1 mile on the highway and then later go further; it would also help to go when there is no rush nor traffic). It also helps if there is an experienced driver next to you; having that type of support can really help out and boost confidence. I hope things improve, and feel free to reach out to a listener if you want to talk. Best wishes!

ProfessorCrepe September 19th, 2017

@ellabellie

Does your car have a radio or something to play music through? Maybe putting on something relaxing or something that comforts you could help ease the stress a bit.

Pinkpink10 September 19th, 2017

I have a lot of anxiety about getting into medical school. And I'm also worried about my mother, who seems to be getting addicted to benzodiazapenes. Your support is welcome and greatly appreciated as I go through all this.

Rebekahwriter13 September 20th, 2017

I was hit by car when I was 12, it was hit and run. I do NOT remember how I got home.

I can drive in empty parking lot, but I freak out on the road. I even get tight in the chest and white knuckles when others are driving.

I have recurring nightmares of being accidents where the car is folded and they have to claws of life to get me out. Other nightmares are with family members, especially brothers (I have three brothers 32, 22, and 18, while I'm 34.)

When I was 16 I took drivers ed, but I do remember any of it. I just know I took it because I had the certificate and receipt. It was all black out time. That is how bad my anxiety is.

I can handle a car, forward, backward, put in a parking spot, but I freak when traffic is coming at me. I hate the fact that I cannot control those around me.

I never got my license, and I don't think I ever will.

I was in accident last year and step mom cared more about her adopted 9 day daughter than my twisted shoulder, I used to keep the baby still.

ellabellie OP September 20th, 2017

Thanks everyone. These are some helpful tips :)