Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Can't start a conversation

Pinkskullnroses June 25th, 2016

I'm having a hard time socializing in real life and thru online ugh screw my anxieties

June 25th, 2016

@Pinkskullnroses

Hello Pink!

It can be quiet scary to socialize, whether it be face to face or online. I know I face similar struggles and it's definitely a process of knowing what's right for you and what works to cope. Have you tried looking at our self help guide on Social Anxiety? It may give you some useful hints and suggestions on how to deal with your social anxiety. I'd also recommend checking out the Anxiety and Depression Association of America's website (ADAA)

Here at 7cups, you can also enlist the help of a listener in a 1-1 chat if you feel more comfortable having a more private chat setting. You can also place an ad in our member's classifieds if you are wanting to find a listener who is here on the forums first. I find that a lot of members prefer to search for one here instead of using the general chat requests. It tends to make it a bit more personal and you're able to describe yourself a little beforehand. However, connecting automatically with any listener it is always an option if you prefer that!

Or if you prefer speaking to others in a large community group setting, you can also use the support rooms where both listeners and members come together to talk in one room. We have quite a lot of different group support rooms, so you can find the one that fits your challenges. The support rooms have a lot of friendly people there and it's a way to unwind and to feel less formal from what I've seen. However, there are still a lot of members and listeners who are there to help support you, if you would like to talk about your struggles with them.

As you can see, I've mentioned a lot of different ways of socializing here that you may find more comfortable doing. The fact that you were able to reach out on the forum is amazing and you should be very proud of yourself!

I hope my resources and links helped, good luck and take care! heartxx

Pinkskullnroses OP June 30th, 2016

@KindListening thank you so much for ur kind reply and advice. However, I found it hard having a 1-1 chat when i first started here which is the exact day i posted in this forum i felt like it's hard to just randomly tell ur troubles to someone u barely know. But i would try the other options you've mentioned above. Once again thank u ^~^

sunnyShip2345 July 7th, 2016

I've got the same problem i find it very hard to speak in groups

Pinkskullnroses OP July 17th, 2016

@sunnyShip2345 how do u overcome it?

Saraksi July 7th, 2016

I an scared to talk to people nad i dont like being i publik places i always think people are lauthing at me

hematite43 July 13th, 2016

@Pinkskullnroses

I also find it difficult to socialize in person. My friendships typically have been coworkers, as that common foundation seems to be an easier way to get to know someone. But even then, I really have to push myself to socialize with them. I always have a little bit of vague dread or awkwardness before going to dinner or to an activity. What I tell myself (and what is true) is that I will enjoy socializing with them while it is happening. That's always turned out to be the case. It's all of the negative anticipation that I have to push through.

Pinkskullnroses OP July 17th, 2016

@hematite43 that's exactly the same thing that happens to me. Socializing drains me yet i feel like i have to do it or else i'll be a loner forever and i don't want that. I like the idea of talking to people casually but whenever im in the crowd i always feel like im in some kind of reality tv show being watched and laughed at by many people ugh my mind just never stops giving me weird stressing scenarios

sunnyShip2345 July 17th, 2016

Talking 1on 1 with someone is easier for me