Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

panic attack vs anxiety attack

aalexana12 October 17th, 2015

I get panic attacks a couple of times a month but i find that my anxiety is harder to deal with. Sometimes it feels like i am so close to having a panic attack but I don't quite tip over the edge. I know panic attacks are horrible but sometimes i feel like i would prefer it to an anxiety attack just to be able to get all of the emotions out.

Again, i suffer from both so i am not trying to suggest that either is preferable or tolerable at the very least but does anyone else have a similar kind of experience with this?

scarletTriangle4690 February 28th, 2016

@aalexana12 I don't quite get the difference, could u please explain further ??

SaraLynn300 March 17th, 2016

@aalexana12 I suffer from high anxiety and panic attacks as well. Never really separated them until I read this but there is a big difference between the two.

JayBumble December 7th, 2015

I can understand that. After a panic attack you can feel drained, and tired, more so than the constant state of hypervigilance. It must be frustrating having to deal with that all the time.

ChristiS February 12th, 2016

So, to clarify, are you describing panic attacks as the sudden heart-pounding attacks, and anxiety attacks as times of high anxiety? I've never thought of them as separate beings like that, but it does make sense! I am much more likely to deal with anxiety attacks by this description, but do have panic attacks at times as well.

honestKiwi3443 February 12th, 2016

I know exactly what you're saying. Unfortunately I spend A LOT of time with extremely heightened anxiety, with very few panic attacks. I'm not sure which I hate more but both are disabling.

Buddysmom February 12th, 2016

I suffer from social anxiety really bad. My husband and I have been together 25+ years and he still gets mad when I just can't go somewhere. So frustrating.

ezrea February 28th, 2016

I experienced this exact type of difference early this past week. A recent breakup in my life, has brought on the depression and anxiety I used to have pretty bad as a teenager. I had never experienced a truly disabling panic attack until Monday. For four and half hours, heart pounding, feeling it in every vein, intense vertigo, shortness of breath, blurry vision, pure unfiltered panic.

I have been running so hypervigiliant in anxiety that this episode began while I was sleeping. I was terrified waking up into that state. Has anyone else experienced this?

ChristiS March 19th, 2016

@ezrea Wow, that had to have been scary!! Haven't experienced it, but have no doubt it could happen! Almost like having a nightmare without the nightmare??

Daydreamer47 March 20th, 2016

@ezrea that sounds awful!!

Daydreamer47 March 20th, 2016

I'm kind of confused about the difference also. My therapist told me I have panic disorder, but I think maybe I just have anxiety attacks? I have increased heart rate, sweating, shaking hands, diarrhea, etc. for example 10 minutes before a date. Not sure if this is a panic attack? I have heard of more extreme things like tunnel vision and passing out which I don't have... If you like to get the emotions out, maybe think of more positive ways to do that. I like yelling in the car and rave dancing in my room to cheesy 80s music. Also punching my pillow.