Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

how do you deal with your panic attacks

HoldOnPainEnds523 May 26th, 2015

for me i got to music and probably video games im curious on what everoneelse uses

sensitiveSkies8443 May 26th, 2015

I try to watch happy things like steven universe or animals trying to be cute (it helps to stop thinking for a bit), doodle randomness like swirls or squiggles (to know that everything you do would be ok), or hear relaxing or smooth (sleepy) classical music (just to ease the pain of a panic attack and to calm my heart down)

DesertBreeze June 10th, 2015

When I get one, I try to distract myself by getting up and walking around. If I do sit down, I call my dogs and they will come and sit with me for attention. When I am active or giving them attention it really helps relieve them.

Now, I put a lot of work into setting myself up to not have one. I cannot always control being exposed to my triggers, but they do not always trigger me anymore.I make sure I work out (heavy cardio) everyday for at least an hour (endorphins help) and I have given up caffeine (a food trigger). This seems to have made a big difference for me. :)

Breeze

yellowGrapes8131 June 26th, 2015

One thing that has helped me with the anxiety and panic attacks is meditation, after a session I feel very positive and it is awesome. Would recommendeveryone learn how to do it.

If you want to learn how to do it you can read this http://anxiousreview.com/learnmeditation/

Hope I helped :)

GermanZebraCupcake June 27th, 2015

One thing that has helped me is not only medication but meditation. The art of being mindful and aware of my surroundings on a deep level. It keeps my head level.

QuietQueer June 27th, 2015

One thing that has really helped me is takina vitamin B complex. It really helps control stress/anxiety, I find myself to be a lot calmer.. I'm not sure if it's just me but I thought I'd let everyone know about it just in case it helps them!

JoyfulJenna June 27th, 2015

When I am having a panic attack I take deep breaths

Jaykay100 June 27th, 2015

I use basic grounding Techneques for example, when I feel I am being triggered I remind myself that I am safe where I am and this will basis. As the panic sets in I could go my breathing to try and keep it steady. It usually helps me in moments of crisis.

quietbody9854 June 28th, 2015

seeing as i deal with at least two attacks a day, im not very good at controlling them still. what i find works most effective for me is to repeat a mantra over and over like even something as simple as "breathe in and out" or "its fine. you are fine." I also like to listen to soft classical music, breathing gifs on sites like tumblr and to 'waltz breathing technique' which is just breathing in and out evenly to a simple waltz step tempo

eyeballer123 July 7th, 2015

well as silly as i sounds i have a pen that double clicks. i take into situations that i think i may be stressed or panniced

PixelStar July 7th, 2015

I just go to the nearest bathroom and sit there and try to calm down telling myself that I just needed to poop.... Its true! It works at least for me. And taking long walks too.

MakeMeADay July 13th, 2015

When I have panic attacks, I have a really hard time getting a full breath and swallowing. I don't find paper bags helpful, because for me it just reminds me that I am trying to breathe, instead of remembering that it is an involuntary bodily action. My body knows it needs to breath and swallow to stay alive. My anxiety is trying to convince me I have to be in control of it. So I find, for me, distraction is the best policy. I will post on social media and ask people to post stupid pictures of cats or dumb jokes. You wouldn't believe how much people love posting stupid cat pictures and dumb jokes. It seems silly, but that's the point. Even when the impetus for a panic attack is happening or true or seems real, there still is silly and happy and goofy and funny and all the other positive emotions inside of you. Reach out and let other people help you draw them out.

It's like breathing into a paper bag full of giggle gas. :)

GothTanya1 July 15th, 2015

When I have panic attacks feels like I can't breathe

Poland02 July 24th, 2015

When you have a panic attack you should go outside and find five things. Then think about what they look like or sounds like. You could also Google Progressive Muscle Relaxation find one that you like. Those are the kinds of things that have helped me in the past.

Averice July 25th, 2015

I had to first realize that I wasn't going to die from a panic attack. Then I realized that they usually lasted at most for thirty minutes. That's because I was waiting for them to pass at that point, instead of freaking out getting myself worked up more and more. Then I practiced slow breaths until they passed and every time I practiced this I hot them less and less. I used to get them several times a day, but it's been fifteen years since I got over them and I haven't had one since. They are scary, but they won't kill you. I'm proof of that lol Hang in there and God bless.

luv2listen August 18th, 2015

The best way to cope with anxiety attacks is learning how to calm yourself down. The best way is learning how to breath, once you have mastered relaxation breathing, your on your way to managing panic.