Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Transition Support Prompt #1: What are your biggest fears and concerns about transitioning from being a teenager to an adult?

ASilentObserver August 18th, 2023

Hello everyone and I hope you are all having a bit easier week. How are you all feeling?

I am starting the Prompt Series with the goal can share our transitioning thoughts & challenges and supporting each other by responding to the comments and thoughts in this thread.

Today's prompt is: What are your biggest fears and concerns about transitioning from being a teenager to an adult?

I know how transitioning can be worrisome and draining for one's well-being. But please know you are not alone and you have all of us here to listen to and support. Take a moment to share your thoughts and discuss with or support others as well.

Also, you can request a Transitioning Mentor to support and guide you as well!

grow-plant.gif

1HEARTSTOPPERFAN August 21st, 2023

@ASilentObserver

i will say it not easy. im graduating this year and well im leaving everything behind when i do. so ill be on my own income while doing college. im scared but im also hopeful that this part will be better than the last. the freedom excites me.

ASilentObserver OP August 21st, 2023

@1HEARTSTOPPERFAN It's understandable to feel both excited and scared about such a big change in your life. Graduating and moving on to the next chapter can certainly bring up mixed emotions. You also mentioned hoping this next part will be better than the last - is there anything in particular you hope will be different that gives you hope? Know that change often brings growth, and it's good you're facing this with both excitement and care for yourself. You've got this. We are all here with you as well to support and help!

1HEARTSTOPPERFAN August 21st, 2023

@ASilentObserver

i'm very hopeful that instead of my parents deciding everything i can finally take charge in my own life and decide what's best for me without them giving me a hard time about it. I can finally start therapy soon. I can hang out with my friends without them giving me a curfew or a limit on how much i can hang out with them. It excites me a lot!!

@1HEARTSTOPPERFAN Gaining more independence and control over decisions in your life is bringing up a lot of excitement and hope for you. I'm glad to hear therapy and more time with friends will soon be possibilities without limits. It's understandable this change would generate positive feelings of looking forward to the future.

Ayoe August 21st, 2023

@ASilentObserver

The responsibilities. They're not kid responsibilities anymore, not like needing to get a certain amount of grades, or responsibilities with friendships and chores and duty to parents. They've all been inflated to great heights. responsibility to parents have become more than just respecting and helping them. now I need to reciprocate at their level too. I need to get a job and support myself and in time, my family too , and job interviews terrify me.

But I have to take it slowly and step by step.

And the fact that I am moving away for college 😭

I am eternally grateful that my parents continue to support me through this but the fears are still strong and heavy.

@Ayoe It seems this transition to more adult responsibilities and moving away for college is weighing heavily on you. Your feelings of fear and sadness around the changes are very understandable. You also mentioned being grateful for your parents' support - having people who care about you can make a big difference. What gives you strength and hope during this challenging time?

Please know you are not alone in this. We are all here with you to listen to and to support. <3
August 21st, 2023

@ASilentObserver

I don't hVe concerns well maybe taxes but I can't wait to be 18 and get the *** out of here.

I know how to take care of myself and stuff and be all alone. I know how to get money and food and place to stay and fend for myself, not much will change.

Just needa buy a car and don't really need much. Never had much anyway.

ASilentObserver OP August 22nd, 2023

@ALeXaNdEr0712 It sounds like you're feeling ready to be independent and take care of yourself. Being 18 can bring changes and opportunities. You've mentioned having the skills to meet your basic needs - is there anything else on your mind as you look ahead? What concerns or worries do you have about this next chapter in your life? We are all here with you to listen to and to support! <3

August 31st, 2023

@ASilentObserver

I don't know how to do taxes :')

ASilentObserver OP September 4th, 2023

@ALeXaNdEr0712 I know taxes are a bit complicated but you will get there. <3 i believe in you