Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder : An Introduction

IceCream4IceCream August 31st, 2021

Image Credits: Posted on an a blog by Ashley Philips at Rice University. Created by finuccinialfredo.I don't own this image. All credits to the creator.

Like Autism Spectrum Conditions (ASCs), Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) is a neurodevelopmental condition. You're born with it: it affects how your brain and nervous system develop.

The American Psychiatric Association (APA, 2013) describes 3 core traits: inattention, hyperactivity, and impulsivity. ADHD is categorised into 3 subtypes which relate to these core traits: predominantly inattentive, predominantly hyperactive-impulsive, and combined type (a combination of the three symptom clusters). People who receive a diagnosis have a high number of ADHD traits, and these traits affect their life significantly.

So what do these words mean? To better explain the nature of attention in ADHD, let's take a look at this image.

Image Credits: Created by Dr Thomas E Brown and posted on his website. I don't own this image. All credits to the creator.

There are various models which explain what happens in ADHD brains, and as with all mental health and neurodevelopmental conditions. There is never 1 single cause.

One theory outlines how people with ADHD have impaired "executive functions" which are basically higher level cognitive processes necessary to get things done: self-control and managing behaviours. Think of executive functions like the CEO of your brain!

Inattention relates to how people with ADHD have difficulty with activation, focus, effort, emotions, working memory, and action (as described in the diagram above). It refers to difficulty with: sustaining attention, starting to pay attention, controlling what one pays attention to, organising and prioritising what to allocate your attention to, and modulating attention based on the demands of the task among other things.

Hyperactivity and Impulsivity together encompass racing thoughts, difficulty sitting still, fidgeting, always being on the go, talking excessively, inadvertently interrupting others, having trouble waiting in line, etc.

Altogether, attention affects all aspects of your life. To illustrate, emotional dysregulation is a lesser known common characteristic of ADHD which relates to difficulty shifting attention away from emotions and inhibiting/controlling emotions among other things.

Moreover, as with ASCs, there are a growing number of people who don't see their ADHD as a deficit in their own lives
myself included with regards to my own ADHDso it is important to respect how each individual feels. That doesn't make one view of it any lesser than the next though! This sub-community affirms all perspectives on ADHD. Disorder or difference: it's up to you to decide how you feel about your own ADHD.
theriverissinging August 31st, 2021

@jovialButterfly6752 love the post!
Interesting info on the attention aspects: "sustaining attention, starting to pay attention, controlling what one pays attention to, organising and prioritising what to allocate your attention to, and modulating attention based on the demands of the task among other things." 😀

IceCream4IceCream OP August 31st, 2021
@theriverissinging

I really appreciate the fact that you're constantly trying to learn more about mental health and other areas 7 Cups covers laugh Thanks for all your supportive comments!
theriverissinging September 1st, 2021

@jovialButterfly6752 heart thanks to you for making such wonderful posts!

freshOasis7877 August 31st, 2021

Hello there....

Above post is really informative and helpful for ppl who don't know about ADHD ... I guess if we don't know about the issue or disorder. We can't understand the phase under which a member is going from ..and understand helps us to respect the person ideas and lows as we pay less attention too them ; so I guess it's really helpful and acknowledging for me 😇...

Thanks for posting the forum on topic ADHD ....for listeners as well as member to understand it in a better way .... it is really helpful 🙂

IceCream4IceCream OP August 31st, 2021
@freshOasis7877

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts heart I really appreciate it and I agree completely. With any mental health or neurodevelopmental condition, educating yourself is a great step towards better supporting people!
kindLemonade August 31st, 2021

Great informative post! Thank you for the descriptive writing ❤️

IceCream4IceCream OP September 1st, 2021

@kindLemonade

Thanks lemo heart

wonderfulRainbow817 August 31st, 2021

I really love how you stated "there are a growing number of people who don't see their ADHD as a deficit in their own lives." That is so very true in my life. Yes, sometimes ADHD can affect my life in a way I don't want it to in that moment but all it does is teaches me how to adapt my life and it makes me stronger because of it.

Also, I don't know if it is just my account but the second picture by Thomas E. Brown is not visible just as an fyi@jovialButterfly6752

IceCream4IceCream OP September 1st, 2021

@wonderfulRainbow817

So glad to hear it heart

Also, it's visible for me sad will message you via PM.

mobteru September 1st, 2021

@jovialButterfly6572 wonderful post!! i love how well put together this is, i feel seen and i hope others learn more about ADHD and try to understand people like us better <333

IceCream4IceCream OP September 10th, 2021

@mobteru I am so so glad to hear it heart Let's keep showing everyone how awesome ADHD is too!

September 10th, 2021

@jovialButterfly6752

Wow, I learned so much about ADHD from this post, especially of that fact that it isn't just identified by trouble focusing and fidgeting. It's much more than that under the surface! Thank you so much for sharing this with us! ❤️

IceCream4IceCream OP September 10th, 2021

@Nerdtastic01

Had a great time in the discussion with you yesterday! Thanks so much for attending and very glad you feel like you learned something new!

azuladragon34 September 11th, 2021

@jovialButterfly6752

Interesting. Thanks for the lovely post Jov

Tagging: @kindLemonade , @HopieRemi

HopieRemi September 11th, 2021

@azuladragon34

This is so true! What a great post. Thanks for tagging me.

IceCream4IceCream OP September 16th, 2021

@azuladragon34 @HopieRemi @kindLemonade 💜

cheerfulIceCream September 16th, 2021

@jovialButterfly6752

Such an informative post! Definitely helps me understand ADHD better. (:

IceCream4IceCream OP September 16th, 2021

@cheerfulIceCream

💜 Glad to hear it!