Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Mindfulness - a daily challenge, a simple exercise to try

soulsings July 5th, 2015

Hope there are others hear interested in mindfulness or meditation. It is so much a part of finding a more satisfying identity.

Never did mindfulness training? Here is a simple exercise that can bring you to mindfulness and relieve stress and anxiety.

Breathe naturally and silently count 1 while you inhale and 2 while you exhale 3 while you inhale...continuing up to 10 then start at 1 again. It is simple but the mind cannot focus on 2 things at once so this can be a tool to get away from confusing or scary thinking.

Bianca0210 July 6th, 2015

Definitely a simple exercise and easy to do!

soulsings OP July 6th, 2015

Great - let me know how it works for you.

blitheSun94 August 15th, 2015

This is a great jumping off point for beginnings and veterans of meditation alike. So much of mindfulness is about simplicity. This simple awareness has helped me navigate times of great distress and reduce impulsivity. smiley

soulsings OP August 16th, 2015

Glad to hear that it is helping. Just let me know if you have your own success stories or coping mechanisms.

December 2nd, 2015

@blitheSun94 I love meditation so much

greenberyl August 30th, 2015

Breathing really is such a great way to remember how to live.

soulsings OP August 31st, 2015

@greenberyl thank you for sharing sentiments so close to mine. There is always something to get excited or anxious about. To find a place to just feel myself being is such a relief.

MatthewJ0405 November 3rd, 2015

I've tried different types of meditation such as focusing on the breath and listening to a bunch of different audios, but my mind always wandered off through most of it. This counting technique has actually really helped me stay focused and keeps my mind from wandering off. Thanks for sharing.

blitheSun94 November 6th, 2015

@MatthewJ0405

That's wonderful! Do keep in consideration that wandering is normal and meditation is about accepting these thoughts without judgment or analysis. While you can reduce distraction through practice, it is impossible to keep from thinking altogether and acknowledgement of this can be very forthcoming in terms of our own inventories. :-)

MatthewJ0405 November 13th, 2015

@blitheSun94 Ah I see. I will try to meditate again with that in mind. I think it'll be a lot less of a fight with my mind if I do try to accept thoughts. I've just always wondered what the "correct" way to meditate is.

soulsings OP November 16th, 2015

@MatthewJ0405 you ask an interesting question, what is the best way to meditate. For me the answer is when I am not trying mentally to be the best or meditate the right way. For me it is often something simple like following my breath and silently counting the inhales and exhales.

It seems that whatever comes naturally or is simple and easy to practice is the best for me. What mindfulness aims to do is have every action be done mindfully, walking, talking, eating, exercising, reading, and on and on.

But at first it is simple and easy to count the inhale and exhale silent while we breathe naturally. Glad to receive a message if that is an option for you and chat 1-1 or exchange messages. You can always reply here also.

blitheSun94 November 17th, 2015

I will have to go ahead and state that there is no "correct" way to meditate. Most every book I've read on the topic says it has little to do with the way you sit or the environment you're in. While ritual is important, meditation strives to become a state of mind, a way of life. For me it's simply about awareness and returning to the present moment. We spend a great deal of our lives lost in conceptualization and worry. Meditation helps to ground us in chaos. I think it's interesting to learn just how loud life can be. It is a practice because with time you will be able to meditate anytime anywhere. Walking meditation, for example, helps me a lot. Anxiety makes it difficult for me to sit exclusively with myself, so motion helps me find rhythm. I generally practice meditation during yoga, on walks, even in the shower or while driving! I even consider reading a form of meditation. It's about developing a relationship with yourself, which is the core of self love and ultimately, overall wellness. It is quite amazing what you can learn from yourself. In terms of mental illness, this practice helps me detect and dismiss irrational thoughts, as well as bring awareness to how I'm feeling and why. It helps me shed harshness, as well as, my own inner critic, and she's a loud one. Best wishes!

Itsacrazylifewelive December 1st, 2015

This was very simple and helped me a bit today!!!

soulsings OP December 1st, 2015

@Itsacrazylifewelive glad it helped. It is so simple to do but remembering can be the toughest part of it. Keep a smile in your heart! :)

December 2nd, 2015

I'll try this and see if it works

soulsings OP December 2nd, 2015

@LovaticLove12 it is simple but works for me. It is great when I am starting to get anxious and my mind is racing or just to relax at the end of a long day and get to sleep.

Let us know how it works for you.