Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Human Touch vs. AI on 7 Cups Learning and Development

Heather225 March 14th

image_1710453786.png

Here on 7 Cups, we value genuine connection. The human touch is what primarily sets us apart from other platforms. While AI tools are very helpful, it's important to remember the power of expressing ourselves authentically. Your tone and style are uniquely you, and that can be lost through overuse of AI for writing. AI, as a general rule, should be used as a supplement to your writing, not a complete replacement.

For example, we offer JIIT (just-in-time training) via Noni tips for chats. We all get stuck sometimes (even me!). People are dynamic, and situations vary. We believe AI can provide helpful nudges and inspiration.

I bring this up here in the 7 Cups Leadership community specifically to address concerns about AI use in learning, training, and testing.

Relying on AI to do all the work for you will hinder personal growth, reduce critical thinking skills, and can make information harder to absorb and retain. This is true for our Active Listening Tests, the Academy courses, and most of our leadership roles. Cutting corners might be tempting, but it's not beneficial for your long-term development.

I've heard some teams encounter instances in which they suspect excessive AI usage at the cost of quality. Team leaders, I advise setting the expectation that applicants use their own words as much as possible. You might even consider establishing this in your training materials. 

There's no denying that AI is fast becoming a normalized part of our world, but like anything else, it should be used in moderation, as a tool and not a crutch.

Do you have tips for striking a balance with AI to get the most out of it?

MistyMagic March 15th

@Heather225  Thanks so much for posting this H! I know that in the world AI use is becoming more and more common, but it is not always a good thing.

First, I must emphasize that obviously for anyone who suffers from a disability then using AI can be extremely useful and in some cases a complete necessity.

I feel though that there has to be a line between using AI and software to be able to communicate or write words so that others may read them, and using AI to write or rewrite what has already been written, or the latest, just giving the AI the outline using a few words and then letting AI write answers, posts, or articles.

Sadly I have seen the latter growing in use and popularity here at 7 Cups.

It is far too easy to generate an AI written post on a subject, it takes a few minutes, the content is inaccurate, bulked out, repetitive and obviously formatted. Compare that to a student or contributor who takes time to think and then write (whether using a dictation AI out of necessity or not) from the head and the heart, showing their own personality and knowledge. I know which I would prefer to see here at 7 Cups! Congruity!

There are so many AI programs now, and I have to admit that I have looked as sometimes I am finding it harder and harder to type due to repetitive strain in my wrists and arthritis in my hands so the thought of dictating and AI software typing for me is rather exciting. But, I found that so many programs, software, and packages then wanted to re-write my words! Completely changing what I wanted to say and 'fleshing out' the paragraph with 'keyword stuffing' so that it filled the 100 words or whatever word count I put in. Reading the paragraph back and comparing it to what I originally had dictated I found that there was a problem with accuracy and far too many repetitive words.

I pride myself on being uniquely me! That was lost completely when I used AI, I am sure there will be many people who say " Oh, Misty, there is a way to improve that, stop it from happening, and use it undetected for exams and answers!"
Why would I want to do that? When I took all my exams and degrees I worked hard and plagiarism was called cheating and was an automatic expulsion. Now there are plagiarism detectors, and websites where one can buy answers and old essays written by other people.

It is now a challenge for sure, for those who lead communities or who grade applications and courses to figure out where the line can be drawn, should be drawn, and must be drawn!
I dislike having my answers and writing compared to someone who is using AI-generated answers.

We need to stay human! Otherwise, what is the point?
@Hope @Suryansh @AffyAvo @ASilentObserver @AsoulfullyAbutterfly @HealingTalk @CheeryMango @Tommy

Listening - One Step At A Time!

HealingTalk March 15th

@MistyMagic

Thank you for tagging me, Misty!

I think AI can be a useful tool for support and creating content, as I discuss below.

For academic purposes, the line must be drawn at zero. It's like an engineer can use math software to do complex calculations at work, but first they have to learn to do it themselves at engineering school to understand 100% what they are doing.

Regarding typing less, have you tried dictation software, like Dragon, or voice typing in Google Docs? It does work!

I use a text prediction software on the PC, "LightKey" (similar to prediction in the phone keyboards) which significantly reduces typing. It works best in MS Word, but you can write everything there first and then copy it to the final destination.

Thank you again, Misty for tagging me in your thoughtful post!

AffyAvo March 15th

I'm not super keen on using AI personally, but recognize it's something I should learn to use more effectively in a way I feel comfortable with especially as the available options get better at what they do.

I also do my best to consider the diverse reasons for why others may want to use AI.

Here, in the forums there have been some people who appear to be using AI generated posts and post a lot in a short time frame. I personally found this to decrease my enjoyment of reading the forums. I have also seen someone receive negative feedback from a post I know that was created by AI. I have also seen what I thought was a well done post which was removed for an unrelated reason, there was an intro and it clarified where AI started.

For guidelines, at the very least I would like to see AI being cited when it is used. I also agree with limiting it's use for any academy program, course, etc. here. I do wonder if it should be used at all for these. Do we consider allowances for people who speak another language and have limited English skills or for those who use text to speak with integrated AI - do we insist they use dictation only?

Another aspect with AI that concerns me are posts about experiences that never really happened. We have people here being vulnerable and choosing to open up to supportive people. Sometimes we choose to connect with someone because of what they shared.

HealingTalk March 15th

@Heather225

AI can be used to research a topic before writing about it, much like googling for related articles.

Reading relevant material before writing about anything is a must, I think, and helps break writer's block. AI gives more concise information than scattered articles, which might be time-saving.

On the other hand, posting something written by a bot feels unethical and might be detrimental if the reader notices it consciously or unconsciously.

But to my surprise, I have seen posts very obviously copy-pasted from ChatGPT (it has a recognizable structure and style) which were very appreciated by the member telling their issues. 

I guess someone under much distress would appreciate any supportive response, and getting an Ai-aided answer might feel better than not getting any, or getting a short standard one like "I'm very sorry for that".

For someone with the best intention to give coverage and support in a needs-reply queue, for example, having in sight an AI-generated answer might help as a checklist to quickly make sure they are covering all issues posed, or at least all those identified by the AI. Like the JIIT but for the Forums.

Summing up, I think AI, used as a tool, might help a Listener give more and better support in the Forums, and help prepare supportive forum discussions, etc. as long as they are the real writers and it's not just a mere copy-paste.

Tinywhisper11 March 16th

@HealingTalk oh I never thought of it like that, I guess it would benefit listeners, or for research into writing a forum thread on particular topics. Whispers quietly not to sound stupid "what does chatgpt mean??

HealingTalk March 18th

Sure, Lola! Absolutely! It's a powerful tool that can be of much help. We are worried that if people just copy-paste the AI-generated texts, the Forums might become impersonal and it might also hinder our learning and improvement. Thinking and writing develop our capacities, including our capacity to feel and empathize with the person we are communicating with. 

Also, there are training activities and courses for Listeners (and also for Members) in 7 Cups. Answering questions in those courses using an AI service would be cheating, it would be unethical, unfair, and would defeat the purpose of the course, that is the acquisition of certain knowledge and skills.

ChatGPT is the most widely used AI service, the pioneer who started this craze. It was launched as a free service about a year ago, in November 2022 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ChatGPT

You can find it and use it here: https://chat.openai.com

@Tinywhisper11

Tinywhisper11 March 18th

@HealingTalk oh wow so it tells you eveything, you could ever think of 😮 🤔🤔 it's amazing how things work. I still have so much to learn. Thanks for taking the time to explain this to me ❤❤ hugs you tightly ❤❤ I love you ❤❤

HealingTalk March 18th

I'm glad that you liked it Lola! It's a nice toy to play with, asking anything you might be curious about. If you like to play with these, there are others, like Gemini by Google, Copilot by Microsoft and Claude by Anthropic. Tight hug! 💜

@Tinywhisper11

DanCat1128 March 16th

For me I love the autocorrect of ai. Because I miss spell words a lot. So I find that helpful. However I don't like the thought of ai overrunning cups. I understand that Noni is there to help others when they are stuck in a chat, but we have chat supporters who are trained to help. My solution to the table is that we can limit the amount of help Noni gives or we can do a backward search if we suspect that a post is ai involved. Then pm the poster saying that they have to use their own words..... These are my thoughts and suggestions

-DanCat

Tinywhisper11 March 16th

@DanCat1128 I completely agree ❤ but yes thank God for autocorrect😁❤

WeEarth March 16th

@Tinywhisper11

Yes, autocorrect is indeed a useful thing. But there is a chance that autocorrect may force us to forget the spellings.🤭 Sorry, Just kidding, never mind🙃

@DanCat1128 How are you doing? What about you sis?

Tinywhisper11 March 16th

@WeEarth I won't forget how to spell, I couldn't spell in the first place😂😂😂 I'm good hows you earth? How's the exams going?

WeEarth March 16th

@Tinywhisper11

I am doing good sis. Thanks to all your blessings and wishes 🥰

Its revision time 😀

HealingTalk March 18th

Very wise Dandan!

I strongly agree with you!

@DanCat1128

Tinywhisper11 March 16th

@Heather225 I guess somepeople do sound like robots😂😂😂 I never get advice on things to say, I speak my own mind, my own heart. And if I don't know what's best to say then I tell them exactly that, and offer hugs instead ❤❤

I hope your doing ok heather? Thanks for this post ❤

WeEarth March 16th

@Tinywhisper11

That's why we all love you sis. Thank you for being yourself 😊

WeEarth March 16th

@Heather225

Yes Heather, you reminded me to be myself. I admit that I use AI because it is very convenient to use. I think most of us use AI to manage time. Yes, It may hinder human creativity. AI has its own benefits and we should use it for our personal growth, rather than entirely relying on the AI generated content. Thank you for this post.

From today onwards, I will try my best to minimize the use of AI, unless absolutely necessary.

coffeedood March 17th

Hi All,

I read through most of this thread and I am struggling to figure out what the 'concern' is here.  is it the idea that folks are using GenAI to Listen to people?  or is the concern that people are using Gen AI to facilitate trainings via 7cups?  

In any case, I think 7cups is missing a huge opportunity by not implementing GenAI into the ecosystem here (perhaps GenAI could even draft a much better UI).

SparkyGizmo March 17th

@Heather225

Hi H! 😊 ❤️ Many thanks for this needful forum post and for addressing the issue. I could not agree with you more. (Once again, it's kind of the.....is it just me or....? 🤔 ) It's nice to know that it's not just me. 

We as people are all different here on the site. I just so happen to take a humanistic approach to everything here towards all of us as people, individuals, unique and special in each and every way.  I try to walk a path of authenticity and I just wouldn't know how else to be. Doing anything else other than that would feel false, shallow and hollow. This is my "output". 😊

Having said that, for me, "input" that is purely chatgpt driven doesn't sit well with me. Once again, it feels false, shallow and hollow. While I might enjoy the good intention behind starting an entire series based on a topic that is pertinent to me or a role here on the platform and I might jump right in, I start to notice that it is clearly all chat bot driven and it's not what I'm here for. 

I am asked to show up and give honest responses, show my knowledge, prove myself etc. and so why wouldn't I expect the same of others to give heart felt and true responses to me in turn? I don't complain about it I simply choose to "opt out".

While I enjoy the opportunity to potentially prove my "worth" if need be and as requested, have thoughtful discussions, learn from the experience and with the "carrot" dangled in front of me at the end to receive a badge if I had done well........it feels uncomfortable interacting in a way with another teammate that is overly reliant upon chatgpt. It is not they that I am interacting with any longer. 

Badges and earning them are really fun things! I love them! ❤️ I'm just not willing to earn them in that way unless it's a requirement for the role.  

Again, many thanks for the insightful post. *high fives* 😊 and *hugs* ❤️

MistyMagic March 25th

@Heather225 The Disability Support Team has been working on our guidelines which I have just posted here https://www.7cups.com/forum/disabilities/CommunitySpace_227/AIGuidelinesforDisabilitySupportCommunity_326180/?post=3515286  

We wanted to make sure that we gave information on how to establish a good balance between allowing AI use for those who find it life-changing and a way to communicate effectively whilst curbing the overuse of AI without compassion or congruity.

Thanks to @AffyAvo, @DreamIcicle8467 @Tommy

Listening - One Step At A Time! - Written with no AI!

bluelotus99 March 28th

Most of my volunteer listening attempts on this website have revolved around "trying not to sound like a robot," so it's very unlikely that I will ever use the AI. I'm already trying to get rid of that style.

Will AI one day replace our volunteer listening services? I dont think so. The issue is not about the context of the text, that comes preliminary. The main thing a guest seeks is the existence of another person. It's not about being able to simulate this connection or not, it's the simple fact that if there is a fellow human being on the other side.

Aurelius121 March 29th

I find that AI is usually present to perform something a human does not want to learn. Don’t want to learn how to write? NovelAI. Don’t want to learn how to draw? ArtFlow. Don’t want to learn how to talk to people? Kindroid. However. These systems are trained on data gathered from human sources. They have to learn it from somewhere. Where, exactly? Books.

I feel that reading about psychology and philosophy has helped me as a Listener. Taking notes, making flash cards for those notes, and reviewing them on a regular basis has enabled me to retain what I have learned. This has helped structure open-ended questions for those who I listen to. I could probably do better, and I intend to.

In the beginning, I was afraid I would accidentally say something that would hurt someone while they were vulnerable. I personally did not use Noni as I found its suggestions to be lacking. I was on my own. I had to accept that I will indeed hurt someone at some point. That is inevitable. Given enough time, we will even accidentally hurt those we love. I am not looking forward to this situation as I am here to help. I can’t let that fear get in the way of anyone I could possibly assist. I can’t be afraid to fail.

Finally, I believe Listeners who rely heavily on Noni might consider asking themselves three questions to reflect on their reliance of the chatbot.

1. How is me copy-pasting what the AI says any different than the user talking to the AI?

2. What can I do to ensure I am able to help a member with minimal assistance from Noni?

3. What am I ultimately trying to achieve through volunteering on this site?