Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Forum Update - A Better Moderation System!

Hope February 6th, 2020

Hi everyone! We have been working on adding more structure, transparency and adding to the quality of our community experience. Forums are a big part of our site and one thing that can help improve the quality of our forums is a better moderation system. This is a trial and we will learn as we go. It is a new tool in its basic form and we are open to feedback and learning from experience as we use it across our forums!

What is new?

Forum Mentors, Member Leaders, and Teen Stars will now be able to classify a forum post when they edit it to fit the forum guidelines. They will have the following options (as well as the option to not classify if it is for other reasons / at author's request):

Inappropriate Language/Content

Unsupportive

Sharing personal info

Whenever a post is edited, you get feedback on why a part of it was modified or deleted but classifying these posts will allow us to get more data on forum usage and improve the quality of our forums. As of now, you will not receive a warning or a coaching email if your posts get flagged as the edited post will reflect the reasoning of the edit.

Additionally, now forum mentors will be able to report a forum post for spam or inappropriate content when they delete a post. If you are reported for spam or inappropriate content, that will mean instant rejection of your account. Of course, forum mentors can only use these options if they are 100% sure that the post is spam or the post is inappropriate (sex chats, role play, etc). If a forum mentor is found to be abusing this tool, they will lose the forum mentor badge permanently along with additional consequences decided in accordance with our behavior points system. The aim of these added options is to significantly reduce spam and improve the quality of our forums.

If a post is edited or deleted at the request of the poster or for reasons not related to forum guidelines violations then there will be no flagging/categorization of the post by the forum mentor. The tool will only be used to report posts that violate the forum guidelines.

A big thank you to @Mel @Monbon & @Anomalia for their support in making this happen!

MistyMagic February 6th, 2020

@Hope what fantastic news! Thanks everyone!

Karrot February 6th, 2020

@Hope

This sounds amazing and makes it so that it can be easier to mod the forums thank you for this update!

ASilentObserver February 6th, 2020

@Hope thank you for bringing this Hope.

amiablePeace77 February 6th, 2020

@Hope

Thank you and everyone else who worked on this update!

lovelyWhisper66 February 6th, 2020

@Hope Thanks for the lovely updates! Keep up the amazing job.

RumpleSteeleSkin February 6th, 2020

@Hope wonderful add on to make our forums more safe! Thank you ladiessmiley

CaringBrit February 6th, 2020

@Hope ty for these updates hope and i hope the glitch spam wont be counted you know when you hit enter then you suddenly end up with say 3 posts of your same posts hope these just get deleted rather than reported as get glitched spam quite a bit

Hope OP February 7th, 2020

@CaringBrit

Yes, that won't be counted as spam because it's not intentional.

lavenderpeach1107 February 6th, 2020

@Hope Thank you for the information!

AffyAvo February 6th, 2020

@Hope Will members get these capabilities too? If not, what are the roles of forum member leaders now?

Anomalia February 6th, 2020

@AffyAvo - Great question! My understanding is that anyone with forum moderation abilities should have this, including forum member leaders. Let me know if you're not seeing it when you edit, though, so we can fix it if there are issues!

AffyAvo February 7th, 2020

@Anomalia It's there, thanks!

CitrusBliss February 6th, 2020

Thanks for the update! Hope this improves our forums.

AffyAvo February 7th, 2020

If we use the inappropriate content/language option when editting, is that affecting a person's account?

There is a fair bit under the forum guidelines that would be considered inappropriate, doesn't fit with the other options, but IMO doesn't warrant anything like a ban or mute for a first offense.

Hi @AffyAvo

At the moment there are no direct consequences to the flag options that you see under 'edit' action. However, the action gets noted in admin and can be looked at for issues like safety reports. So no it won't ban or reject anyone like it would for the spam option.

Emmur February 7th, 2020

Love this! Thanks for implementing such a wonderful system.

PurpleSnail February 7th, 2020

@Hope

Thanks for the transparency!

Erato February 7th, 2020

@Hope Thank you so much for this! I'm really glad that it has finally happened! Thank you as well to @Mel, @Anomalia and @Monbon for consistent effort in maintaining the forums 💜

AddictedTealover98 February 7th, 2020

Thanks for he update!

lucidpanic February 7th, 2020

I prefer my post to get deleted than someone changing my words. thanks

SoulfullyAButterfly February 7th, 2020

@Hope exciting feature! One question, I agree we must personally be 100% sure before using the tool but I guess I am worried about making mistakes and facing consequences. Is there a way we can keep it flagged without a decision so perhaps someone else on the forum team can decide? (I hope this makes sense)

@SoulfullyAButterfly

You can delete a post without flagging it as spam or you can always ask a forum leader to take a look at it!

Goldcherry2113 February 7th, 2020

Thank you for the updates

AJIneedhelp February 8th, 2020

I'm not sure what to say.. But thanks for accepting me

AffyAvo February 13th, 2020

@Hope @Anomalia it's gone. Will it be coming back?

Hope OP February 13th, 2020

@AffyAvo

Hi Affy that was a temporary glitch, it is sorted now!

EstelleStarseed July 15th, 2020

Hi, it seems there is a bug on 7 cups. The listners cannot be searched. I treid with a few and a few with me. Also a listner I know on here got banned or blocked for no apparent reason? Can anybody help?

AffyAvo December 3rd, 2021

@7CupsCommunity the tool has changed for when spam posts are deleted - both posts and threads that are selected as spam and are deleted to not result in the suspension of the account any more. Are these accounts going through a manual review process or is it necessary to then fill out a member-member report to prevent them from spamming more?

7CupsCommunity December 8th, 2021

@AffyAvo

Please fill out the member to member report so that the spamming can be looked into deeper for each case.

AffyAvo January 20th, 2022

@7CupsCommunity What was the reason for removing the capability of taking action on accounts when moderating?

AffyAvo January 28th, 2022
@7CupsCommunity What was the reason for removing the capability of taking action on accounts when moderating?
AffyAvo February 8th, 2022

With the instances in Jan where there was spamming and reports were filed when will the reports be dealt with?

CheeryMango February 23rd, 2022

Hey Affy. What forum moderation capability are you referring to exactly when talking about dealing with spam posts in the forums?

AffyAvo February 23rd, 2022

@CheeryMango When this tool was implemented, deleting a post and selecting spam meant the account was deactivated.

Now, a separate report needs to be done as deleting the post for spam just deletes the post.

Since this was changed I have reported some of the individuals for spamming and the accounts are still active.

CheeryMango February 24th, 2022

@AffyAvo

Which form are you using this make this sort of report? As for the reason why this change was made, I’m not sure because that was a policy implemented before I came onboard and things have likely changed. When deleting a post for spam, a note is made on the user’s account to say why their post was deleted and if there were several spam posts made by then in a short time, their account gets deactivated. But if the posts are made hours apart, nothing happens to their account. We’ll have to manually investigate this when it happens.

AffyAvo February 24th, 2022

@CheeryMango Prior to this week I was using the M-M/L report form.

RarelyCharlie January 20th, 2022

@7CupsCommunity Related to this, are some posts protected from being flagged and moderated?

I tried to flag this link to a betting website several times, but I just get an error message: FIFA World Cup

However, I was able to flag a more recent post in the same thread, and the more recent post has now been removed.

Charlie

theriverissinging January 21st, 2022

@RarelyCharlie This has happened before (probably in the same thread) that I deleted a post and it said deleted but it still showed up and couldn't be flagged. I had to use the delete button again which removed it.

7CupsCommunity January 25th, 2022

@RarelyCharlie

This sounds like a bug in the system, we will send it over to the developer team for review.