Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Getting resurfacing memories out of your head

dapperPond2037 June 16th, 2021

I’ve recently had childhood memories resurfacing that I can’t get out of my head. Painful memories that I cant seem to let go of. I’m nearly 64. Does it ever end?

mytwistedsoul June 17th, 2021

@dapperPond2037 Hey :) I'm sorry you're dealing with these painful memories. Alot of times the reason they keep coming up is because they haven't been processed and healed. Someyimes we can push things so far down inside that it can take years for things to surface again. Sometimes journaling and writing these things down can help or talking about them. Therapy can be alot of help too
Take care of yourself ok?

Wapiskiwiyas June 27th, 2021

I get that too. I’m often haunted by mistakes I’ve made in the past; some going back to childhood

Cazzy8752 July 19th, 2021

Hi @dapperPond2037 I'm soon to be 50 and I everyday have flashbacks/memories haunting me of my childhood trauma. I also constantly have my parents voices in my head telling me I'm not good enough, I will never do well in life and I will end up living in the gutters/on the streets. It's very hard living with these memories and I'm so sorry your going through this too, I'm sending you big hugs of comfort. Having these can make us feel like our lives will never be settled to live in peace. I share with you a couple tools I created and hope they help. 1) I turn them into a unwanted story EXAMPLE " Oh here we go a again the failure story, I've heard you million times before and as I've done million times before I tell you to F...k off/ Get lost because your story is lies" When I do this I try to do it in a funny voice like donald duck because it gives me a laugh 🤣 that little laugh is the medicine I need to distract me and then turn my attention to something else. 2) Another thing I do is write all thats in my mind on to paper with as much detail as possible. ( This can be hard and bit painful) Once I've written it down then do an affirmation on releasing it all, letting it go and then burn it. Its gone from mind, to paper and gone completely. The affirmation gives strength. @dapperPond, I dont know if these ever go away, I too wish they would as I find them crippling to my life. These two tools do help, not with big changes but with calming and letting go. I pray they help you too. Sending you prayers and strength wrapped in big hug. Feel free to pm for chat or leave message. ❤

Helgafy July 31st, 2021

@Cazzy8752
Dear.
I saw a documentary from Maya Angelou's life today. She wrote a book: "I know why the caged bird sings." Like you she was neglected by her mother. (I cannot imagine what that must feel like!). Hillary Clinton has read the book and it was one of the first books she discussed with her husband Bill, she said. Her mother also was neglected, mistreated by her mother - so she gave the book to her.
Maybe something for you.
From Helga.

An1mal July 21st, 2021

@dapperPond2037

Hiya Dapper, Have you tried EMDR yet with trauma therapy, Im just starting that now myself it may just help a little for you.

adventurousBranch3786 July 22nd, 2021

@An1mal I did edmr therapy and it did help me. I hope that it helps you also!

An1mal July 25th, 2021

@adventurousBranch3786

Thanks Branch, fingers crossed. Glad it worked for you.

Pearl1940 July 22nd, 2021

@dapperPond2037i am going through that myself. i am getting some help. i hope you can get the strength to talk to someone. this is a start. find the strength to forgive.

secretMap2091 July 23rd, 2021

I'm wondering that myself. Therapy helped me come to terms with my difficult experiences, but new traumas were a trigger. The pandemic fed into it. It's hard, reliving all that. Connecting to a listener has helped me get some relief, but pain like that never really goes away. I wish you all the best. Maybe a renewed or revised meditation practice can help, if you are into that. I have several meditation strategies that I use when my mind wanders into places best left alone. Good luck and peace to you. 😌