Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Looking for assistance to navigate life...

GreekCatPerson June 10th

For those who don't know me, I'm a 49 year-old man in a wheelchair with a spinal cord injury.

I'm a returning citizen, and I have had a heck of a time finding a job, finding a place to live. I have certain needs, but for the most part, I am independent. 

During my incarceration, I suffered a mental break down and I have been diagnosed with severe depression and generalized anxiety disorders. I have symptoms of PTSD, I get overwhelmed and get stuck in a constant flight mode. 

My journey towards recovery has been extremely slow, extremely full of obstacles, and I keep making mistakes. I have no family, and no real life friends that I can lean on for assistance (emotional, physical, financial). 

I am not looking for financial assistance from any one individual. I have applied to dozens of apartment complexes, I have contacted 211, findhelp.org, HUD, my state's housing development authorities, everything I can think of, but to no avail. The answers range from "we have a multi-year waiting list" to "we don't do business with felons."

At this point, I am looking for ideas, for help, for something new to try that does not involve being constantly overwhelmed. I have been looking for government grants and loans to buy and retrofit a house to live somewhere quietly, and peacefully. Does anyone have any ideas? Does anyone have any pointers?

amiablePeace77 June 11th

@GreekCatPerson

Sorry that you have so many challenges and no support irl, this must be really hard for you! 💙 

Having to cope with severe depression and generalized anxiety disorders and dealing with symptoms of PTSD apart from all the other challenges would be overwhelming for everyone! 

When there are so many struggles in life it's very important to do good self-care to calm the nervous system so that it does not overreact too much. What are you currently doing for self-care?

I hope coming here will give you the support you need. Many people find it helpful to share their stories in sharing circle

You will find the trauma support here and depression support here 

This is a link which shows you a few options you have on the site to get support https://www.7cups.com/forum/7CupsOnlineTherapy_157/Resources_2155/7cupsTherapySubcomResourceSummaryPageUpdated142022_267900/

Some people find that mindfulness helps them to cope with their challenges. You will find the mindfulness video resource library here:

https://www.7cups.com/forum/MindfulnessSupportCommunity_106/ResourceLibrary_1062/2017MindfulnessVideos_72071/

I hope this helps. 

@GreekCatPerson. Have you thought about applying for disability benefits?

GreekCatPerson OP June 11th

@adventurousBranch3786

I have disability benefits. But they don't include compassion from others :'(

@GreekCatPerson. It sounds like a difficult situation. I’m glad to hear that you were able to get benefits.

AmyPondd June 14th

@GreekCatPerson

Hello! You've been through a lot!

Sometimes the limits of our own endurance have to expand so much, that we lose our grounds. We need to find ourselves again. Our core. Our hope. And sometimes even our beliefs.

I send you my good thoughts and I pray for you and your life.

Have you considered reaching out to Christian communities or NGOs? 

@GreekCatPerson hi

Im.sorry that you're not finding the support that you need. 

It looks like you really have done a pile of work looking for the correct path!

I didn't notice any references to faith based organizations & if you have reached out to them, I apologize for mentioning it again.

Sometimes faith based organizations can offer a respite while you continue looking for another program. 

I really do applaud your persistence in this difficult time & I want to encourage you to keep on & never give up!

@GreekCatPerson. Where I live there are people who rent out rooms in their houses. I don’t know if this is an option where you live.