Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Anyone retired?

friendlyCat50 May 5th, 2022

I have been retired for a year. My husband has been retired for 4 years. We spend alot of time together daily. I love my husbsnd but that is too much for any couple. Problem is we are both introverts and don't have alot of friends to go out with. I have a sister who is still working so not much time to things with her. Any one else deal with this?

adventurousBranch3786 May 5th, 2022

@friendlyCat50 Yessss! I hear you!

adventurousBranch3786 May 5th, 2022

@friendlyCat50 I can definitely relate. My partner and I are both retired. We spend a lot of time together. Iโ€™ve been trying to find some things that I can do without him. I think that itโ€™s good for the relationship to have some separate activities.

friendlyCat50 OP May 7th, 2022

Yes I agree having seperate activities and some alone time is good. I joined a senior center and took painting class and went to bingo by myself if my husband does not want to go.

I just joined this year and I am making myself go. Some experiences turn out ok others not so good. Lol

Susiefloos January 2nd, 2023

We too are retired, my husband is involved with his running club and I am a volunteer in a charity shop .

It works very well for us , hope you find something similar x

AvocatoAdvocate May 5th, 2022

I am retired since a couple of decades... I don't know how I manage to stay sane... the days are so long

adventurousBranch3786 May 6th, 2022

@AvocatoAdvocate. It can be hard to find ways to fill our time after retirement. 50+ has group discussions. You are welcome to attend. Here is the schedule.

May 2022 Fifty Plus Schedule

Thank you for sharing the schedule. I will check it out.

I can relate that some of the days are long. It has only been a year for me. I am thinking about getting a part time job. There is only so much cooking and cleaning and stuff that needs to be done around the house. But I am 60 and trying to find a new job at this age may or may not be easy.

SunShineAlwaysGrateful January 6th, 2023

@AvocatoAdvocate

i just joined a 50 plus group locally they have paint nights, bowling, Nordic walks with piles, rug hooking, bingo, movies and dinner all free with a $10 annual fee โ€ฆ in Newfoundland the 50 plus groups get funding from government to build social opportunities for seniors โ€ฆ are there any groups in your area to join??

Do some voluntary work. Get you out of the house and give you purpose. I'm sure there is something that doesn't involve too meeting too many people. Animals shelters, environment stuff... there must be something

I did try voluntary work at the school with my husband. It went well and I am going to give it another try. We lost our dog a couple months ago so I do miss having a dog around. So I will check out volunteering at the animal shelters. Thanks for the suggestions.

listeningmatters May 7th, 2022

@friendlyCat50

I "voluntarily retired" a long time ago. Since then, I have all the time I want for things I want to do, and it feels great to be free and independent. A couple of days ago I came across a link in 7 Cups that lists pleasurable activities. It added up to my list. Please check it out yourself: http://cornercanyoncounseling.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Pleasurable-Activities.pdf

Enjoy your freedom!

Thank you for sharing this list. I will check it out. I am glad you are enjoying your freedom.

kathy3667 May 23rd, 2022

I am retired and I don't go out much. I have hobbies, like crafts, reading, and the internet. @friendlyCat50

friendlyCat50 OP May 24th, 2022

That is good you have activities that you like to keep you busy. Enjoy!

@kathy3667

are there groups locally you can join? I just joined a 50 plus group for social activities see list I posted in this thread โ€ฆ

seeker406 May 24th, 2022

@friendlyCat50

Yes, this sounds like me and my husband. We're both retired, are introverted and have been struggling with feeling isolated. I also struggle with agoraphobia so that can be an even bigger challenge. But I push myself to take short walks outside or just sit outside or garden on nice days. It really helps me feel more engaged in life. :)

friendlyCat50 OP May 29th, 2022

Thank you for sharing your experience. I think because of the difficult challenges we face we can learn to be resilient or at least try the best we can.

@seeker406

Nature is so great! I even try to have coffee on my deck with the weather corporates it helps โ€ฆ nature is so calming

kittie3 November 28th, 2022

@friendlyCat50

Hi my hubby is retired due to previous illness but Iam still working full time. Im not ready yet to call it quits. I could have retired last 2021 but chosed not too. I like my job and I like the $$$, I just started collecting SS plus my 40 hr work week. I cannot be home 24/7 with my husband i love him but we will kill each other โ˜บ๏ธ (only kidding) I been in recovery for 16 yrs now I have to keep my mind working otherwise Im bad company in my own skin. So you are not alone my friend hope this helped alittle for ya. โค๏ธ

calmMango9611 November 28th, 2022

@friendlyCat50 I am retired because of my disability and some medical issues.

I have been on disability retirement since 96.

I stay pretty active here at 7cups.

I am a retired listener and leader here at 7cups.

I have been at 7cups since Dec 2019 and became a member in Jan 2020.

I am now a leader on the member side of things.

I love it.

Staying active helps a lot.

You could become a leader for the member side of things, here at 7cups.

We could use more leaders.

If interested please chat with ASlientObserver https://www.7cups.com/@ASilentObserver for more information.

They are the Group Support Manager here at 7cups.

They get busy, so there might be a bit of a wait, but they do get back to you.

I hope this helps.

@calmMango9611

i am medically retired as well for 9 years. I am almost 57 now โ€ฆ

Yes I am looking to be more involved in cups in 2023!!

SunShineAlwaysGrateful January 5th, 2023

Yes I totally understand! My husband and I share breakfast do some things together in the morning then we each do individual things all day and reconnect at supper. In the evening we watch shows.

We are joining a 50plus club they have various activities bowling, artic walks, dinner and movie ๐ŸŽฅ etc.

calmMango9611 January 5th, 2023

@SunShineAlwaysGrateful Thank you for sharing this.

Something to keep in mind, we have a 50+ Community here at 7cups.

But not all are 50+,however.

It is open to all, the Adults here at 7cups.

We have a pop-up room.

Some activities we have in the 50+ room, are Open Chat.

Open Chat happens on Mondays at 6:30,et. And Fridays at 6pm,et.

We have other events in the rooms.

Please visit the CommunityCalender for more information.

Here is the link for the chatrooms: 7cups.com/connect/Chatrooms.php

I hope this is helpful.

@calmMango9611 So sorry that link for the community calendar does not work,for some reason.

Please pm soulsings who are in charge of the support talks https://www.7cups.com/@soulsings for 50+

@calmMango9611

Thank you so much! I have just begun to visit there and love it very much ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’•

@friendlyCat50 Here is the corrected link for the community calendar.

https://www.7cups.com/home/#collapse-card-communitycalendar

spongbobishappy January 6th, 2023

@friendlyCat50

I am inviting you to the Sharing Circle chat room where you may share with other

members of 7Cups and receive support ! ๐Ÿ˜Š

BrokenWingsThatFlew January 7th, 2023

@friendlyCat50

Hello there! Happy Retirement!

So sorry to hear about your troubles.

Feel free to reach out to me if you need an ear!

Keep in there!

Electric100 February 27th, 2023

I am avoiding retirement. My husband still works but on his days off it is boring. I try to come up with "filler" activities. One thing that we do is go to breakfast or lunch at some place we have to drive a distance. We drive 45 minutes to McD for lunch but it fills more time than going local. Same with shopping. A bit of a waste of gas, but it works for us.

LostTurtle2 February 27th, 2023

As a man, I'm curious what's going to happen when I retire. Are we all becoming grumpy couch potatoes? Boring and comatose? Disagreeable?

Anything else?, lol...