Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Long distance relationship

BabyLavender June 14th

I wish my boyfriend would propose to me. While our relationship is good, the situation is really hard for me. To see him, I have to travel from Taiwan to New York and stay for months. I used to live and work there, but I can’t anymore because my student visa expired. Now, I struggle to have a stable life because I travel every 2.5 months between the States and Taiwan.

My family is emotionally abusive, especially my dad, who is a narcissist. I don’t have anyone at home I can trust or who supports me. My family does help by giving me a place to stay and food, which I’m very grateful for. But, I have to be with my dad almost all the time and meet his demands. I have severe bulimia and was in treatment two years ago, but had to leave early to work. At that time, I was in NYC working for a company. Then I got laid off, and my family moved all my stuff from New York to Taiwan. It didn’t feel right then, and I still haven’t unpacked. My dad is annoyed that my boxes take up space at my grandparents’ house, which he sees as a public space.

I want to move back to New York to be with my boyfriend and friends. I’m in Taiwan now and have been sick in bed for a week. The house is dirty, which I try to clean, and while my parents give me food, I once found metal screws in a dish. It felt weird, though I know it was an accident.

I don’t want to sound sad (I’m not!). I’m excited about registering an LLC in Taiwan and hoping to take design jobs in NYC and work with vendors there. But traveling back and forth between Taiwan and NY is tough financially and health-wise. My boyfriend is great and has paid for most of my trips. This is the second time he’s almost fully paid for my flight. He wants me to do all his housework and take care of him, like scheduling doctor’s appointments. I like taking care of the home, but I wish he would propose so I could legally work there and not depend on him or my family as much. Not being a citizen means I miss out on benefits and protections. I also have to travel back to Taiwan for medical care.

My boyfriend and I missed each other a lot and we FaceTime. Both of us cannot wait to be together. And I wish to tell him my situation. — How can I bring this up to my boyfriend? I want to be considerate of him having other aspects of life as well. I see that he wishes to be with me the long mterm. I wish he would propose a marriage

Clio9876 June 16th

@BabyLavender

Hi there, babylavender.

There's no doubt that long distance relationships are challenging. And I'm sorry to hear that life living with your family right now is so difficult. I can totally understand your frustration.

I can see that your relationship with your boyfriend means a lot to you. I'm a firm believer in clear communication being the key to a great relationship. There's a myriad of reasons why your boyfriend might not be proposing. And the only way to know which it is, is to ask him.

Of course, that is not easy, and if you decide not to, and to just wait, that would be totally understandable.

Good luck.

BabyLavender OP June 16th

Thank you for this thoughtful reply!