Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

What to do with sexist behaviours?

Suen00 November 14th, 2023

Just feeling disapointed with a very sexist society.

For a while I've been trying to learn sailing and windsurfing, which is all possible where I live.

The sailing comunity is very male dominated though and I've reached a point where I felt mistreated everytime I wanted to do heavy tasks that usually man do (but I don't think woman can't do). Being literally pushed away or pretending I did something wrong that could've threatened another member's wellbeing (I did not, a man made the set up to pretend I did but I didn't).

When I finally got the attention of the windsurfing team it turned out it was only a male, single that spend hours and hours on me and my training but everytime his hand was a bit loose slightly touching some parts of my body I did not want him to touch and pretending it was an unintentional and unnoticed. I don't think it was.

I'm quite exhausted and frustated.

Optimisticempath November 16th, 2023

@Suen00 sorry you've been feeling so disrespected, it is so sad when people engage in sexism 😔 you deserve respect and recognition equally. 

Suen00 OP November 18th, 2023

Thank you for your understanding and kind words @Optimisticempath! There's too much sexism sometimes, it's frustrating...

I love your profile picture, by the way 😉... I've felt like that so many times!

Optimisticempath November 18th, 2023

@Suen00 yeah its valid to find it frustrating :( some people dont even acknowledge how wrong it is

aw thanks.. sometimes you gotta face away right 😅 hehe

Suen00 OP November 18th, 2023

Which makes it even worse! It's like the frustration is snowballing...

Sometimes you do! =)

Mya000 November 19th, 2023

@Suen00 

I'm so sorry to hear about the sexism you've experienced within the sailing community. It's completely unacceptable for anyone to behave in such a manner, and no one should have to endure such treatment. I want you to know that I am here to listen and support you through this, and I empathize with your desire to feel safe and respected. Our society is so disheartening, but you don't have to face it alone. Feel free to share your thoughts, and I'm here to chat and support you through it all 💜
Suen00 OP November 20th, 2023

Thank you for your support @Mya000 !!!

It's very discouraging and it makes me wonder how should I react in front of these type of situations. Should I walk away? Should I make a commitment to educate?

My default mode is not being able to react at the moment, growing ressentment after that, followed by walking away from what hurts me and having to find a new hobby. Not sure it's the best strategy but it's what I usually do...

Mya000 November 20th, 2023

@Suen00 You are very welcome! Your safety is the top priority, so walking away to ensure you're safe sounds like a reasonable choice. Educating such sexist man is useless and is not your role at all, it's even quite risky.

It's understandable that your default mode involves stepping away to protect yourself. Perhaps exploring different environments for sailing might lead you to a more supportive and respectful community.

Feel free to reach out if you need more support or suggestions!

November 29th, 2023

@Suen00 i m sorry that you are facing sexism i can completely validate with your emotions n surely no one deseves to be treated that way and i guess only way to tackle is to speak against it

gracefulApricot2230 November 29th, 2023

@Suen00 honestly my favorite thing is to ask the person to explain what they mean in front of everyone. and keep asking for them to break it down, until which point there are essentially telling everyone their sexist thoughts in plain language.

Also going to HR or a similar department to report that individual is an ethical and safe otopion.