Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Connections

orangeTriangle4803 April 19th, 2023

I was not raised with a lot of female presence in my life. I have noticed recently how lacking in my ability to connect to other women. I would like to work on this and try to get more positive interactions with women, especially at work. Does anyone have any recommendations for how to go about this?

toughTiger6481 April 25th, 2023

@orangeTriangle4803

can be difficult if used to dealing with men etc..... no clear way as there are all sorts of personalities and possibilities ...... depending on workplace sometimes i would overhear a conversation that leads into a discussion or most all women universally will respond to flattery on a clothing item or color

Mya000 April 26th, 2023

@toughTiger6481 While it may be true that different people have different personalities and respond differently to various social cues, the statement that “most all women universally will respond to flattery on a clothing item or colour” is a harmful and unfounded stereotype. It is important to recognize that individuals should be treated as individuals and not reduced to stereotypes or assumptions based on their gender. Furthermore, it is important to approach conversations and interactions in a respectful and professional manner, rather than relying on potentially manipulative tactics such as flattery.

adventurousBranch3786 April 26th, 2023

@orangeTriangle4803. I found attending some local support groups as well as adult education classes helpful. For example I took an art class. There were women in the class. It was a nice way to get used to talking with other women.

Mya000 April 26th, 2023

@orangeTriangle4803

It's great to hear that you're interested in building stronger connections with other women, especially in a work environment where those relationships can be especially valuable.

You could consider joining a women's group or organization that aligns with your interests or values. This could be anything from a book club to a volunteer group or a professional association. Being part of a group with a shared purpose or interest can help facilitate connections and give you a sense of community.

Finally, don't underestimate the power of small gestures. Making an effort to reach out and connect with female coworkers on a one-on-one basis can be a great way to build relationships. Whether it's grabbing coffee or lunch together, asking for advice or feedback on a project, these small actions can go a long way in building trust and connection. Building relationships takes time and effort, but the rewards are well worth it.