Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Truama informed teaching (TW)

Pumkineyes25 April 24th, 2023

How can talking about trauma in general be a trigger? I know for me this happen just a couple of days ago when in one of my classes we talk about trauma informed teaching. I got back to where I told a teacher that a family friend was physically teaching in ways that he should not. I get this was in high and I was 17 but it seemed as if the teacher did not really care. From there I had other things popping in for memories.

Mya000 May 3rd, 2023

@Pumkineyes25

Talking about trauma in general can be a trigger for individuals who have experienced trauma in the past. When someone experiences a traumatic event, their brain and body can react in a variety of ways, including increased anxiety, hypervigilance, and heightened emotional responses. These reactions can be triggered by reminders of the traumatic event, such as certain words, sounds, smells, or situations.

In your case, hearing about trauma-informed teaching in class may have triggered memories of your own traumatic experience. It's not uncommon for survivors of trauma to experience flashbacks or intrusive thoughts when reminded of their trauma. These triggers can be very distressing and can cause a range of emotional and physical symptoms, including anxiety, panic attacks, and dissociation.

It's important to remember that trauma reactions are a normal response to abnormal events. It's also important to take care of yourself when triggers occur. You may find it helpful to reach out to a therapist or other mental health professional who can provide support and guidance in managing your trauma triggers.

Remember that healing from trauma is a process, and it takes time, patience, and support. You are not alone, and there are resources and support available to help you on your healing journey. Please take care of yourself, and feel free to reach out to me anytime if you need someone to talk to.