Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Beginning to Process and Cope

goldenSpruce1512 March 20th, 2020

So I debated even posting on this page for a long time, but a while ago, I was raped. It still feels surreal to admit that. For a long time I tried to convince myself my experience was lesser because he was close to me, I never screamed no and there was no physical violence. Regardless, I didn't consent to what happened, it was unwanted and it has really hurt me.

Anyway, I am looking to this community for some advice on how to begin coping and how to continue processing that what happened to me was real. It's been really hard to even get to this point. What has helped other people on their journey of recovery?

lovelypomelo March 23rd, 2020

@goldenSpruce1512 this has happened to me too... I did not know it was rape as like you it was my then boyfriend so i never thought of it as rape but recently i have been having flashbacks so I guess I never healed from this as like you I have never mentioned or talked with anyone ... talking is a good way to help you heal .. please take care ... and be kind to yourself

goldenSpruce1512 OP April 11th, 2020

@lovelypomelo

Thank you for your message! I think for me, talking is healing, but it's so challenging. I thought I would've processed better by now, but I haven't.

stardust42 March 22nd, 2020

Hello, @goldenSpruce1512. I was sexually assaulted by someone I was dating at the time. I still struggle with it. But I am slowly healing. I'm in therapy and I have a support group. I also have opened up to some of my friends. If you have anyone in your life you really trust, reaching out to them might help. If it's hard to say things out loud, you could write. My first therapy session, I wrote down what happened. It just felt easier somehow. Always remember you're not alone and you have the power to heal.

goldenSpruce1512 OP March 23rd, 2020

@stardust42

thanks for your response. I agree that I need to talk more. A listener on this app has been so helpful for me, but in real life, it's so hard to reach out and talk about.

stardust42 March 23rd, 2020

@goldenSpruce1512

I'm glad you were able to connect with a listener. If you don't feel ready to talk in real life, maybe you could still express your emotions through art or music. Sometimes I paint my feelings. Personally, I didn't feel ready to talk for a long time. Healing happens at it's own pace and it's different for everyone. Connecting with people on 7cups is a good first step. You are talking to people in your own way. It's takes courage to reach out like that.