Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

What Is Post-Traumatic Growth?

blitheSun94 May 29th, 2015

"Suffering is universal: you attempt to subvert it so that it does not have a destructive, negative effect. You turn it around so that it becomes a creative, positive force.? Those are the words of Terry Waite who survived four years in solitary confinement, chained, beaten and subject to mock execution.

Interest in how trauma can be a catalyst for positive changes began to take hold during the mid 1990?s when the term posttraumatic growth was introduced by two pioneering scholars Richard Tedeschi and Lawrence Calhoun."

Positive psychology is a relatively new realm and aims to explore the better aspects of our minds as opposed to those which might be considered abnormal. This frontier is breaking new ground with a term called "post-traumatic growth". Post-traumatic growth examines the characteristics of trauma that you can benefit from. No one will argue that trauma changes us forever. Among these positive changes are a sensitive appreciation toward relationships, wisdom and expression, and less materialism matched with a greater inclination toward enlightenment.

"Importantly, and this just can?t be emphasized enough, thisdoes not mean that trauma is not also destructive and distressing. No one welcomes adversity. But the research evidence shows us that over time people can find benefits in their struggle with adversity. Indeed, across a large number of studies ofpeople who have experienced a wide range of negative events, estimates are that between 30 and 70% typically report some form of positive change

We can all use this knowledge to help us cope when adversity does strike, be it bereavement, accident or illness. We can seek to live more wisely in the aftermath of adversity and as the opening quote says, subvert suffering. "

In what ways have you grown as a result of your traumatic experience(s)?

Read the full article here: Posttraumatic Growth, Psychology Today

blitheSun94 OP June 6th, 2015

Does anyone have any feedback on this topic?

ElephantsAndIcicles June 7th, 2015

@blitheSun94

I'll give you an example from my experience.

In my city, there was a significant natural disaster a few years ago The effect was widespread. People lost lives. People lost their homes. People lost their livelihoods. This particular event went on for a long time and no-one would ever know when another disaster would hit. Everyone was on tender hooks all of the time. People couldn't sleep. Stress levels across the community were through the roof. But the strangest thing happened. People pulled together. Where people were previously strangers and wouldn't acknowledge each other on the street, people suddenly saw only friends and never strangers. A city of 500,000 people turned around from people living in silos to small town community. An effect that still exists to this day. The disaster itself created chaos in the community. PTSD rates are through the rough. A 60% increase in anxiety disorder rates across the community and it's even higher among children under 12. And while all of this has happened, it created a community of truly caring people. That was the positive out of it all.

I hope this somewhat relates :-/

blitheSun94 OP June 7th, 2015

@ElephantsAndIcicles

Thank you so much. This is exactly the message I was trying to convey. If we can pull the good from the bad it can substantially change our relationship to our own suffering. I think it is important to remember that without suffering there would be no compassion. Although some, like my father, would say the suffering outweighs the compassion. Certainly though, my own traumatic experiences changed me forever. You have to ask yourself if a brighter life would be worth giving up the core parts of you that have grown wise, resilient, and strong as a result of excessive pain.

What a wonderful story- despite so much hardship. Thanks again.

ElephantsAndIcicles June 8th, 2015

@blitheSun94

Thank you for replying to me.

I hear what you're saying regarding compassion and I agree with you on that one, most definitely.I think one of the difficult things to move past is when you look at others that seemingly have such carefree lives without having experienced trauma that makes me, and possibly others, wonder whether the positives are really worth it

blitheSun94 OP June 8th, 2015

Elephants, Keep in mind mental illness is not bias and does not spare even those with a white picket fence. ♡

ElephantsAndIcicles June 9th, 2015

@blitheSun94

You're definitely right, however knowing that and feeling that way are two different things :)

blitheSun94 OP June 9th, 2015

Agreed.

PhoenixRise November 14th, 2015

@ElephantsAndIcicles I 100% get what you are saying. The bitterness and jealousy can destroy you but you have to think of your journey as your one not anyone elses. And be grateful for what you have etc.

impartialpikachu October 18th, 2015

@blitheSun94

Thanks for this. I'm still finding the experience's lessons/growth in my everyday life. I value some stuff more, for instance. I'm happier in a way. So thank you.

blitheSun94 OP October 24th, 2015

@impartialpikachu

I am so glad this was useful to you and your wellness. :-)

blitheSun94 OP August 17th, 2015

You're welcome. smiley

blitheSun94 OP November 17th, 2015

Gratitude is a useful state of mind in terms of perspective. My pain reminds me that things could always be much worse. Thank you for posting!

blitheSun94 OP November 13th, 2022

@NoneTheWiser

Thank you. ❤️

blitheSun94 OP November 15th, 2022

I think that’s a great idea!