Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Trying to acknowledge I have trauma

Grey27 May 15th, 2021

Hi everyone, I joined 7 Cups because of my pretty severe depressive symptoms. However, my therapist (and previous ones) has been trying to help me notice all the complex, repeated traumatic experiences I have had - and how they relate to my mood now. It’s strange but I’ve never viewed them as personal traumas even though I would view them as extremely traumatic in others. Have I been dissociating to cope my whole life? Maybe I still am now..? I’m not sure where to go from here but I’m ready to start acknowledging that I have experienced trauma. Thank you for this space 🙏💙

Sunisshiningandsoareyou May 19th, 2021

Hello @Grey27 , welcome to 7 cups ❤

I hear ya, experiencing trauma and questioning if you've been coping through it using dissociation is understandable . It is so not easy to acknowledge trauma, and needing help, I am glad your therapists are supporting you in recognizing it .

Acknowledging trauma and asking support are some great steps on the way to healing , and you're doing so well already, just like this, one step at a time , you really got thissss, and we are happy to have you here ! Best wishes ❤

Grey27 OP May 19th, 2021

Thank you 🙏 @sunishiningandsoareyou I appreciate your support! Wishing you the best too 💙

Sunisshiningandsoareyou May 19th, 2021

@Grey27

Most welcome 🤗❤

LilacKalypso9 May 19th, 2021

@Grey27

Hello to you, welcome to our site!

The fact that you've made the valiant step to open up about such a challening topic and receive help, deserves immense credit. I'm happy to know that there's a mental health professional who's guiding through your path to treatment and healing. You deserve to be relieved from the trauma you have experienced throughout your lifetime, whatever that may be. It can be tricky to tackle, when so much can play its part in shaping who we we are today. But you're extremely brave and awesome from addressing it and putting in effort as an individual to work on your best self.

May everything fall in place for you, as time goes by. 7 Cups also has Listeners for you to reach out to, in case you just need to vent and let it all out.

My inbox is open for you.

Keep up the good work and take care💗

Grey27 OP May 19th, 2021

Hi @LilacKalypso9 - thank you for your comment 🙏 I will keep putting in the effort to move forward. I appreciate your willingness and openness to listen 💙

philosophicalWater182 May 21st, 2021

I'm also new. I am and have been aware of my c-ptsd for awhile. Dissociating and isolating are 2nd nature by now. But I've started EMDR. There's a book called The Body Keeps the Score that might help you understand how unprocessed trauma affects us. I think there's even a free pdf version online.

Grey27 OP May 22nd, 2021

Hi @philosophicalWater182 - thank you for your response! I actually have read some of this book, The Body Keeps the Score - you’re absolutely right, it helps to understand where all my reactiveness and detachment symptoms are coming from. I’m happy to hear you started EMDR and I hope it works wells for you. Wishing you the best and sending you support 💙