Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Time doesn't help.

Bossy1 September 21st, 2023

I was attacked multiple times by the same person for the course of a two year period back in 2014&2015. I've always heard "time heals". It's been almost 20 years since it started and nothing was "healed". I admit I was able to push it off my brain as a main thought but when a certain song comes on or I hear his name evene when its someone else completely I have this feeling that rushes over me and everthing comes flooding back. I've worked really hard to move on and to replace those memories with happier ones from my current place in life. But it is not truly "healed" and it honestly feels like it never will be.

Bossy1 OP September 21st, 2023

*10 years not 20

Tinywhisper11 September 21st, 2023

@Bossy1 gives you a giant tiny hug ❤❤ sympathises with your trauma. No time doesn't help. Because there is no such thing as time when it comes to this, it happens when we are ready, when we can find a way to deal with the past. There's no time limit. I'm sorry sweetie ❤gives you another hug

toughTiger6481 September 21st, 2023

@Bossy1

It is not about the time it is about what you might do with the time in processing the trauma. how people deal with things is different but almost all ways take time to get through.

For some it may take professional help or other measures but you would not be the first to think the phrase Time heals all wounds just meant wait it out.

PeacePink September 21st, 2023

@Bossy1

First of all, I'm sorry to hear that you have been deeply hurt and attacked like that by someone; what they did was not okay, and the fact that they continued these horrible acts against you for a period of time shows what an awful human being they are to have done this to you. And the second thing is, I'm sorry to hear that you have been told that "time heals." This misconception floats around constantly, the idea that no matter what happened to you, as long as time passes, it will get easier. Maybe, in some cases, it helps that it's further in the past, because you can try to forget about it more easily--but when you have suffered such deep trauma, it doesn't work like that. It comes up in the form of many reminders, things pop up in your head; the pain is real and genuine in every moment.

I was a victim of repeated rape myself for a span of two years and a half, and it's been around two years since the last time I was raped. And funnily enough, I've had people tell me that "time heals," as if my sorrow and pain will go away or should have already gone away. People who haven't experienced truly terrible things can't possibly understand the feeling that is left with you in your body and mind, that sticks with you. And it's not your fault that this is the case, that these memories have been haunting you--and if anyone tells you it is, it's because they don't understand, and they haven't been what you have been through. It's true that most people never fully "heal" from what happened; it happens, and to an extent, you grow wiser and realize the world isn't a safe place, that things don't work out like how they are supposed to.

At the same times, perhaps people like us can have a greater appreciation of the moment, of people around us who are kind and when good things happen. Because we understand personally how truly much worse things could be. On another level, there are some ways to potentially move forward, even though it's been almost 20 years. Trying to do things that give you joy or some relief could be helpful--I like to write and draw myself as a release, and it helps me feel in control and in charge of myself, unlike the loss of control and pain I felt back then. And when these things don't work, I know that some people like having routines--like doing exercise in the morning by walking outside or watchign a good show at a certain time. Routines help build some consistency and can relieve a bit of anxiety because we have planned and taken some control over what has happening, and it also helps fill in time, so we're not sitting or standing but doing something, so it makes it less likely that the negative thoughts and memories will float into our mind.

PeacePink September 21st, 2023

@Bossy1

I just realized you had a time correction on your post, that it was twenty years, and my points remain the same regardless. Please take care, and feel free to message me; I'm generally not able to talk often to members at this moment, but if you want to make an appointment, I can accomodate if you would like. Or you can just message me whenever you feel like it.