Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Intrusive thoughts

Lostguy21 December 23rd, 2022

I've recently noticed that I get intrusive thoughts sometimes when someone talks about driving or I think about cars or driving where I imagine horrible car crashes. I was in a really bad crash over a year ago so I guess I'm figuring out that it traumatized me more than I thought. I already have a PTSD diagnosis but from other things. Maybe others have had similar things. For me it seems like it mostly is just stuff related to cars and driving. Thanks for reading

lexydong December 24th, 2022

@Lostguy21 The human brain responds with fear to similar scenarios presented by experiencing danger to keep you away from it. Trying to escape your fear will only exacerbate your symptoms. I would say that if you are in a safe place, like the parking lot in front of your house, try sitting in a car with friends or family and talking with them for half an hour, and I believe it will help you.

haileytang December 24th, 2022

@Lostguy21 Hello there, I am sorry that you had a terrible accident before, but the good side is you recovered from it and continued with your normal life. Of course, I think the importance of safe driving cannot be overstated and there are crazy drivers on the street, but the majority of the drivers abide by rules so my suggestion is to try to relax and trust those drivers around you on the street. Maybe listening to some of your favorite songs while driving will help you relax a bit. Stay safe and good luck!

Peppery94 December 25th, 2022

I'm sorry to hear about your traumatic experience. It can be very hard to deal with everyday life when your mind is constantly keeping you hyper aware of the dangers.

I remember when I was younger and was in multiple car accidents I was in and where I always on the side of impact, it took my a long time to be able to drive. First car accident I was in I was 17 and I didn't get my license until I was 24 because of my anxiety and I would always embrace for impact.

It is normal for your mind to keep you alert after such a traumatic experience. I am telling you this because I know I also need to hear it. It's easier for us to be the stronger person for someone else than for ourselves. I would suggest texting the crisis Line, 741741, when you need someone to talk to. Also think about finding a counselor that can help you unfold your pain and you can learn more healthy coping mechanisms. This past week I was having a panic attacks while driving and I saw a car with the license plate that said " U R OK", So I want to remind you that you are ok!

UnderstandingURpain December 25th, 2022

@Lostguy21

I can relate to this , I was in a horrible car accident and had a few very hard nights seeing the accident over and over in my head.

Every time I would get into a car passing a certain speed I would get very scared.

What I realised is that in order to move past this fear I had to say " I dont care and I have to drive "

It was bad the first few times , I would sit in the car and just do nothing , slowly turn on the engine , put some music , drive around the bock slowly . With time it got easier , but I had to face my fear , the faster you deal with it , the quicker the healing starts .

I also took a few benzos in the beginning as well , to help with the anxiety.

It is so hard and paralyzing but it really is the best form of therapy to tell yourself I wont let the fear stop me from living a full life .

WakingAppy January 19th, 2023

@Lostguy21

This happens to me so much that I rarely ever get in a car anymore. When in a car, I start having vivid imaginations of what could happen. It gets very detailed in my mind and causes intense fear.