Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

C-PTSD: CSA, domestic abuse, car crash

Disabledfemme September 20th, 2015

Hello everyone. I wanted to share my story of being diagnosed with C-PTSD.

I've had many traumatic experiences in my life.

My mother & father seperated when I was very small and my mother started dating soon after. She fell in love with a fellow alcoholic artist who was extremely abusive to her, and he came with two small children whom he looked after. They became my brothers & he became my tormentor. I experienced severe childhood abuse from both this man & my mother and eventually I was placed into a group home & then a foster home when my mother went to jail for child neglect. I never saw "my brothers" because we were seperated in the system because we were not blood related. I went to live with my dad and this was age 11. I experience weekly nightmares of my mothers old boyfriend.

Around age 16 I dropped out of grade 10 and 2 years later I found myself in a severely abusive relationship. He was very controlling and physically abusive all the time. It took 2 years to get out of that relationship with the help of the police & domestic helplines in my area. I still experience a lot of habits I had from this domestic relationship including acting strangely towards my current partner, getting scared easily when I think he is upset at me, etc etc.

I finally found a new guy a while later and we've been together ever since. He encouraged me to join a gym, become healthier, loose 80lbs and get my first ever job which I worked at for a year right up until my car accident.

My partner was driving me and someone ran a red light, slammed into my passenger side of the car and left me permanently disabled. Lived in the hospital and a rehabilitation facility for many weeks after. I had a wheelchair for 6 months after the accident & a daily nurse for a year and a half. I have severe PTSD from this incident & experience daily nightmares & flashbacks. I also have nightmares regarding the hospital and rehab facility.

2 days ago I was formally diagnosed with C-PTSD & confirmed a diagnosis of borderline personality disorder & depression. I was referred to a PTSD clinic but I'm just waiting now.

I am trying so hard not to let this effect me but it's so hard. It feels like whenever my life gets better, something else horrible happens to me.

TheRealLadyJ September 20th, 2015

Hi. I am brand new to 7 cups. I'm not even sure I will stay on it. I just ran across your story and wanted to tell you someone was listening (reading). Ive also had a life that seemed like every time I was getting it together, something happens to set me back.

Sometimes we have to make our own family. That's why I'm here. This may not be the right place, but it's a try. Please feel free to reach out to me if it will help.

Disabledfemme OP September 20th, 2015

thanks for witnessing my story.

Roadie September 25th, 2015

Hi @Disabledfemme

Thank you so much for sharing your story.

Your story had three layers to it. Your early life which you fought your way through. As much as we may refuse to accept it, it takes courage to make our way through life, most especially when things are far from the greatest. I really respect you for that.

The second part of your story is one that I love. You found someone that loves you and respects you. It sounds so healthy. It's fantastic to see and I'm really happy for you for that.

The third part is another difficult part in your story. It's an incredibly traumatic time that you've been through this past year and a half or so. I cannot possibly understand what it is like but I know that the courage and strength that you showed in your early life is still there. You're incredibly courageous you really are.

Thank you so much for sharing. I really appreciate you in doing so.